help with english word

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jan

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I'm surfing through all of your amazing bikes, I noticed that a lot of your bikes have a very different fork from what I have ever seen before i Denmark.
In Denmark every bike I' ve ever seen just has an ordenary fork, or one with springs as mountainbikes and so on.
But my question goes for the forks I see in here with two ekstra, thinner tubes going from where the fork is mounted and down to the front wheel. What are they called in english, and where can I buy some?? I'm having a hard time explaining what it Is I'm talking about because English is not my native tounge. I would like to post pictures, but will not just copy your pictures in the bike gallery without asking, and as we don't have them here in DK it's hard to find pictures here. :wink: Hope that you guys can help, I'm looking forward to get to work on my bike, and it would be cool to have something no one else have here.

0064.jpg

like these? If so, truss rods or struts. Not really sure if they do anything but look cool!!

Go take a look in the gallery and you should be able to find what your thinking of and post it here so we can help you out.
Any of these possibly?
Springer%20Fork%2026in%20Chrome.JPG

10cc_12.jpg

joeb_41dx01.jpg

batwing.jpg

just a few ordinary styles.

Markm said:
0064.jpg

like these? If so, truss rods or struts. Not really sure if they do anything but look cool!!

It's exactly what I'm looking for. and no they proberbly don't do anything, but they sure look cool,I have never seen them in DK. and don't think I can buy them here.

Pinche said:
Go take a look in the gallery and you should be able to find what your thinking of and post it here so we can help you out.
Any of these possibly?
Springer%20Fork%2026in%20Chrome.JPG

10cc_12.jpg

joeb_41dx01.jpg

batwing.jpg

just a few ordinary styles.

Like the one on the Clunker, pic. number three, Can I buy them on ebay or maybe make some myself?

Thanks for helping guys, Looking forward to have some myself.

They are pretty simple to make. Most people use 3/8 '' automotive brake line. Smash the ends flat with a hammer or a vice . and drill a hole in them for the axels. Then use a top piece that would normally go over the fork tube and hold a reflector. Drill a hole and make a small bottom plate to hold the tubes. Then just bend them the way you like. You can buy stainless brake lines and they will polish up like chrome. Good luck Also I doubt if anyone would care if you copy their pictures.

I made some truss rods like this. Finished forks are pretty much indestructable. Rods are made from solid steel rod gas grille axles banged straight on anvil like devise.
Tyler%20Build-12.jpg

I welded them on the forks like this.
TB-13sm.jpg

Upper mount made from scrap steel from the junk pile.
Tyler%20Build-14.jpg

Made them to fit. I threaded the rods and put a nut under the mounting flange and an acorn nut to top off.
TB-19sm.jpg

Ended up on this bike.
Tyler%20Build-16.jpg

Hope this might help you.

Graylock

cool, thanks, It suddently look plausible that I can do something like this.

hej jan, de laves let selv - gamle amerikanske forgafler er tyndere end europæiske, derfor brugte de dem oprindeligt som forstærkning.. men de kan bruges "for looks"
- sorry guys, got all excited to see another dane post on this forum, first time i saw that.. welcome Jan, lets see what your working on..

this is the homemade fork on my current bike
100_2931.jpg

regards
Flemming
( denmark - copenhagen area )

Hej Flemming, tak for baggrundshistorien bag dem. Jeg har også fået indtryk af at de ikke er så vanskelige at lave så det vil jeg prøve. dejligt med så mange reaktioner på sådan et spørgsmål. Cool cykel du arbejder på.
Yes, nice to see that I'm not the only dane with bikes on my mind.

Someone above said that truss rods are just for looks and don't really do anything. I disagree. They make the front end nice and stiff and it makes for a better ride. They are the opposite of a mushy springfork. If you really want to make the front end even more stiff, add Aerostruts. Here are the struts on my DX. When you grab the bars you won't believe how solid it feels. Gary
MVC-866S.jpg

One English word for the forks in Markm's photo is "bent". I think truss rods look good on old bikes even if they serve no purpose. I have thought about trying to build a pair , or maybe even a springer of my own design. 8)

B607 said:
Someone above said that truss rods are just for looks and don't really do anything. I disagree. The make the front end nice and stiff and it makes for a better ride. They are the opposite of a mushy springfork. If you really want to make the front end even more stiff, add Aerostruts. Here are the struts on my DX. When you grab the bars you won't believe how solid it feels. Gary
MVC-866S.jpg

Kinda hijacking the topic here, but how far do those parade/bar struts allow you to turn the bars left and right? They look like they would get in the way of steering and end up scratching/ denting the tank. I'm all about a stiff front end, but that might be going too far..... :idea:

When I turn hard, the reflector on the rod comes in contact with the tank. No way I want scratches so I put a glob of silicone glue on the edge of the reflector on each side and I don't have a problem. Gary

Back