Help with crank noise

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, can anyone offer any suggestions as to the nature of the sound in my bike that seems to eminate from the bottom bracket? Starts after riding a couple miles. Gets progressively worse, and I can start to feel it in the left pedal. Here is the video:
http://youtu.be/qgLkiGQuSWI
I have another super32, so I used it to swap out the rear wheel and crankset, pedals, bottom bracket assembly. Still there. Maddening.

I'm going to make a suggestion, but please don't be insulted when I do--I have no idea of your level of wrenching experience. You've seemed to have swapped out nearly every possible part, so...I'm left to conclude that something in the order of reassembly or adjustment is possibly wrong. The bottom bracket is adjustable and uses caged bearings, correct? Is it possible you've installed the cages backwards? The closed side of the cage should face inboard, toward the spindle race--the open side should face toward the cups. When properly tightened, the crank should spin freely without binding, but have no lateral play side-to-side. It's a mistake I've made many times, or watched others make, especially when they're rushed. Outside of any obvious galling or damage, there's little else to go wrong with the BB. Again, no slight intended...it's the best I can suggest with nothing more than a video clip to go on.

Thanks RustySprockets - Not insulted at all! I'll pull the BB apart tonight and check the bearings orientation - entirely possible! I had a PM that suggested using better pedals too.

I had mine apart 3 times. Those bearings and cups are cheap, when I replaced the bearings with some from an old raleigh 3 speed, they were good.

Pulled the cranks off and found this suspect out of square crank:
IMG_20131007_201059.jpg
and from the crank side:
IMG_20131007_201046.jpg
So I pulled everything out. Installed a bottom bracket assembly from a 90s Raleigh Technium mountain bike. Took cranks and pedals off of a giant hybrid. It was a triple ring crank, so I drilled the spotwelds and pulled the large and small chainrings off. Not optimal set up, but it will get me by until I can get a proper crank.
IMG_20131007_201133.jpg

So we shall see.

Latest posts

Back