Help with a Klunker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I just joined the forum today.

This is what i got. Its a 1960's Phillips cruiser bike there isn't a model just says Phillips with the serial # on BB "213".

Its a lugged frame, i'm in the process of putting Sakae Cranks on it with 42 tooth sprocket. I'm gonna leave the BB the way it is it pedals perfect still. I put an older Bridgestone headset in it with a set of vintage chrome Akisu road bike forks. With a nice vintage Salsa stem and some Kona DH bars. Without the crankset on it it weighs 22# even. Also i'm gonna leave the original paint and rust on the bike.

So a couple questions?

I'm having problems with clearance on the rear tire, I have read the How To section on the frames for larger tires. I"m not sure i could get the rear triangle to bend out that much because if the gusset that rubs between the L and R chainstays. Any ideas?

Second not sure if the frame is strong enough for off road use with u would love to use it for because its so comfortable to ride.
I have a couple of rigig full lugged mountain bike frames that are awesome offroad. But the rear dropout are real thin and not sure they would hold up. I have a set of Ritchey rear drop out that might work, but if i can't go off road with it then i shouldn't go through all the trouble.

Here is a pic of the bike, it isn't that great of a pic i will try to get some later.

Philips.jpg

[

I believe those frames were actually originally equipped with narrow EA3 (26" x 1 3/8") wheels. Along with weakening the rear triangle, bending the stays isn't likely to make much space for anything that the tire may pick up. I guess it depends on what kind of surface you'll be riding on whether or not the bike is suitable, you can get some pretty grabby mtb knobs in 1.9"

deorman said:
I believe those frames were actually originally equipped with narrow EA3 (26" x 1 3/8") wheels. Along with weakening the rear triangle, bending the stays isn't likely to make much space for anything that the tire may pick up. I guess it depends on what kind of surface you'll be riding on whether or not the bike is suitable, you can get some pretty grabby mtb knobs in 1.9"

1.9 would be plenty wide, i'm not sure i will take it offroad too much. I guess i will find out how strong the frame really is, i just like it because its such a comfortable position for rinding it it weighs nothing. Would you have an idea of how strong that frame would be, i couldn't find a year on it, i found a similar bike and it's advertised as a 1969. My main concern is the rear dropouts. Wonder if theres a way to strengthen them without putting new ones on.

Most bikes used to have large clamping washers which imparted some stiffness to the dropouts. You could probably add some custom version that fit your release on one side and the axle on the inside. I'd worry more about them becoming loose than getting bent or spread. Given the lugged construction, I'd imagine they're brazed, but they might just be stamp-fit. If so, they could be drilled and spot welded. Maybe just keep an eye out for a ballooner, before putting all that effort into a bike that's more suited to this purpose.. :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22295&st=0&sk=t&sd=a :mrgreen:

deorman said:
Most bikes used to have large clamping washers which imparted some stiffness to the dropouts. You could probably add some custom version that fit your release on one side and the axle on the inside. I'd worry more about them becoming loose than getting bent or spread. Given the lugged construction, I'd imagine they're brazed, but they might just be stamp-fit. If so, they could be drilled and spot welded. Maybe just keep an eye out for a ballooner, before putting all that effort into a bike that's more suited to this purpose.. :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22295&st=0&sk=t&sd=a :mrgreen:

The dropouts are braze ons. I actually took some old cassettes apart last night made a single speed with it. I laid the bike on the ground put my foot on the back of it and pulled up on it and got the rim to fit in the dropouts and that fixed my problem with the wheel rub.

Now my problem is with the single speed when i go to feed the chain on it pulls the left side out a little bit and makes the wheel of balance. I was reading up on it and was wondering if i put a chaintug if it would work on that old of a bike and the dropout are pretty skinny.

I had to put some chain tensioners from an old BMX and form them around the dropout. That keep the back whhel from sliding when i put the chain on. I went through heck getting the chain size correct because if it was too tight it would bind the BB and too loose the chain fly off. After hours and hours of messing with it and not to count the hours and hours of getting hounded by the wife....I'm finally done with it and will post some pics 2morrow. It prolly my favorite bike to ride right now.

Back