Help Springer fork question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok heres the skinny , i have a 49 schwinn <3 , and its going to be getting a make over and none of my 26" bikes have a springer and i would love to put on on this bike ..
will a new springer fork work on a girls bike? like a fork from any bicycle site etc ... some reason i think i remember reading that girl headtubes are a different length then guys.????

I think you are right! I believe the womens bike head tube is longer. Im sure one of the guys on here can answer that question for sure. Also if you have a tank on it there can be clearance issues with the schwinn type springer! 8)

Most of the 'lowrider parts' sites also carry fork tubes of various lengths. Being that it's a Schwinn, you shouldn't have any problem finding one that fits. To be safe, pull your old fork off and measure it for reference. You can always trim off or add spacers if it's a 'little' long.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Hi Jen, the new 26 " straight springers are universal, they come long enough, do a mock up and measure, then cut to length . Remember measure twice and cut once, a simple hack saw will do. I met you once at a swap meet in Allentown PA, I was buying a old Columbia, glad to see everything is fine and you are still building. :mrgreen:

retro cruiser said:
Hi Jen, the new 26 " straight springers are universal, they come long enough, do a mock up and measure, then cut to length . Remember measure twice and cut once, a simple hack saw will do.
You may also have to tweak the angle of the bracket that goes on the neck . It has also been my experience , that the bolt that goes through the spring is crap :x the good news is that an old GM starter bolt works in its place

dogdart said:
retro cruiser said:
do a mock up and measure, then cut to length, a simple hack saw will do.
You may also have to tweak the angle of the bracket that goes on the neck .
Screw on an upper inner race to chase the threads after filing or grinding (or making a really clean saw cut :mrgreen: )

I have a cool tool that clamps onto the fork tube and lets the hacksaw run between two metal plates. It gives you a nice straight cut. Let me know if you need to borrow it. 8)

Back