help on sprocket discription ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cant some one tell me what kind of sprocket this is, the year and where it came on please 8)
projecto7.jpg

proyecto3.jpg

the sprocket i got it non chrome i had it chrome any info will be helpfull thank's :!: :wink:

I'm pretty sure that's from a Hercules, but maybe some other maker I've never heard of. They did a number of differing sprocket styles, some incorporating H's and some not. Some actually spelling out the whole name, and some with plain narrow spokes. Some of the coolest ones were hidden under full coverage chain guards! :?

Inch pitch "skip tooth" sprockets aren't necessarily pre-war, but are usually pre 1950's. I believe this one is probably dp harris/hawthorne, maybe 30's?

deorman said:
I'm pretty sure that's from a Hercules, but maybe some other maker I've never heard of. They did a number of differing sprocket styles, some incorporating H's and some not. Some actually spelling out the whole name, and some with plain narrow spokes. Some of the coolest ones were hidden under full coverage chain guards! :?
thank you :!:

real good inf. i had no clue wish bike co. had that sprocket,thank you again :!: :D

SSG said:
Inch pitch "skip tooth" sprockets aren't necessarily pre-war, but are usually pre 1950's. I believe this one is probably dp harris/hawthorne, maybe 30's?
thanks alot 8)
real good inf. i will like to see a bike with it on specialy that harris/hawthorne thank's again :!:

Im thinkin Harly, saw a sprocket on ebay like that once and it was harly

Boardtrack fan said:
This 1930s Hawthorne motorbike appears to have the same sprocket.
1930sHawthornemotobike2.jpg
wow that is the same { thank - you :!: } :shock:
at last i see the bike that came on you are great fabulist job i was so into finding out about that sprocket that at times i din't know what to do i got the sprocket for $ 35.00 dollars and now i think is worht more is that right :!: thank you again :wink:

The H is for Harris, D.P. Harris Co., distributor of bikes and hardware stuff. The bikes were actually built by Snyder, that sprocket shows up on early-mid 30s Hawthornes, Rollfasts, and other Snyder built bikes. My early 30s Rollfast:
adamtinkererscollection007.jpg
They also had a more abstract H sprocket in the late 40s, they're more of a swirl. ~Adam

I don't know much about stuff before late '50's, but my guess would be right around what you paid. Someone who's more into the research may have a different opinion.

Rustinkerer said:
The H is for Harris, D.P. Harris Co., distributor of bikes and hardware stuff. The bikes were actually built by Snyder, that sprocket shows up on early-mid 30s Hawthornes, Rollfasts, and other Snyder built bikes. My early 30s Rollfast: They also had a more abstract H sprocket in the late 40s, they're more of a swirl. ~Adam
thank you :!: :)
i see that on you're bike it has 5 H and on mine it only has 4 H you have giving me alot of inf. thank you so much :!: :D

deorman said:
I don't know much about stuff before late '50's, but my guess would be right around what you paid. Someone who's more into the research may have a different opinion.
you know i am glad i bougit specialy what i paid for it it's something diffrent so i think it will look good on that built

Not to hijack this older thread, But what make and year is this frame??? Picked up a free one just like it, but in the ladys version.
But mine came with a different crank and sproket
Free you might ask, bent forks, bent seat tube and hammered seat stay. The rear tire was hitting the bar so someome beat it with a hammer.

projecto7.jpg

proyecto3.jpg

Mine
S5003099.jpg

That is a Columbia frame. It could have had one of a couple of different of store or manufacturer labels instead. The red sprocket looks like AMF, but the sprocket on the blue bike isn't Columbia either. :wink:

i just picked me up a1935-36? rollfast which was manf. by the h.p. snyder and d.p. harris companies im somewhat new to forums but ive been restoring bikes for a while now & this seems like a cool place for me :)

Back