help me with hubs!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey im about to build a kustom w/ a gas motor, and i want the thing to be FAST...
my idea is to use a shimano nexus hub, but i want to be able to reverse it to lhd. that way i can SHIFT and reach much higher speeds... i know if i just take a hub and flip it, it wont engage. plus, i need to retain rhd pedaling capability to be street legal...
i searched eveywhere, and nobody seems to make an lhd shifting hub... i know i would have to have a rear gear custom made to fit the hub, as the arbor would be different.
anyone got any machining/welding advice for me?

You can buy left hand threaded freewheels they are called South Paw frewheels, you can also buy adapters that bolt onto the disk brake
mounting holes on the hubs that the Southpaw freewheel will screw onto. TIP: if you want to make your own you can use a standard bottom bracket
bearing race, it is the correct left hand thread for rear southpaw sprocket, weld an adapter plate to bolt to the disk mount on the hub and you have a lhd
ready to go. Use a jackshaft assemble to transfer you motor driveline to the right hand side and have your manual pedal on the left...Done :)

KiM

p.s if you dont follow this check my worklog in a day or two i will be doing the exact thing on my rear 3 speed hub .. I have all the components just need to fabricate the adapter.

If you want to shift gears and go fast, why don't you save yourself the trouble and just buy a motorcycle? :roll: Gary

I dont' think the Nexus hubs would be strong enough. You might try a Nuvinci Hub as they can take more torque.

Actually 3 speed hubs have proven heaps strong enough for the HT engines (49cc china motors) they only output 750watts which the hubs can handle no probs, they dont have enough torque to pull the skin off custard.
The e-bikers with big torque do go for the Nuvinci Hub the electrics have the rep for spitting out 3 speeds at will ... Why i am even trying to use one i dont know hahaha..

KiM

p.s i setup lefthand drive on my project yesterday if you wish to see how it can be done DIY stylin

http://members.ii.net/~aussiejester/ind ... dapter.jpg

Back