Help Identifying Seat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me what kind of seat this is? I believe I've seen one with the double coils in the front but I don't remember what it was. I believe this particular seat is a hodge-podge of parts. The long springs appear to have been added later as you can see the marks on the bottom of the pan where the original springs used be (or the pan might have been on a different chassis originally). I don't know that much about these seats but it also looks like there are two two left-side spring sets. I believe the coils are supposed to be opposite each other but not sure. The chassis also appears to be too narrow in the back for these springs by the looks of they way they are pulled in. Also the angle seems wrong. I'm thinking I might be able to rig some little brackets to fix that problem.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

seat1.jpg

seat2.jpg

seat3.jpg

It looks like the springs and carriage from this;

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=15726&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

see 3rd page

were added to the pan and front spring from something else.

A narrower u-bolt for the rear springs :| would probably solve the problem.

Honestly, that looks like a conglomeration of different seat parts! I know most Persons and Troxel seats from the long spring era had a (mostly) flat piece that the springs attach to. You could probably look at the old catalogs on the Cabe or other vintage bike sites to see some old seat ads. I know the reprinted '38 Island Cycle Supply catalog, which pops up on ebay fairly regularly, has a bunch of seats in it. ~Adam

Back