Help ID this single bar cantilever

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this frame recently. The serial number on the bottom bracket hanger is 50801 with a separate 8EP (hard to see). I don't even know if cantilever is the correct term because it seems most cantilevers have smaller twin tubes. I have searched the web and cannot find others like this, with a single top tube and a curved single lower tube. can anyone help identify?

Thanks!

Concur, Rollfast, made by Snyder I think. The dropouts and sprocket are late 50's early 60's Rollfast.

Thank you for the information. Agree the chainring looks like Snyder, yet I haven't seen one like this with the small triangle near the center. My other question would be when did Snyder change from putting serial numbers on the bottom bracket to the dropouts? My guess was that with the number on the BB it would be no later than 50's. Thanks!

I don't know when the serial numbers were moved from the BB to the dropout but the frame you have is a Snyder built unit and dates to circa 1958-1962. It is not a true cantilever but was obviously styled after Schwinn’s design to capitalize on that frames popularity. These frames, and several similar variations, were produced under a number of brandings including Rollfast and Hawthorne.

As a side note I picked up an identical frame with a tank last year because I needed the frame to go with a tank I have had forever…. That means I have a surplus tank that is available if you want one. PM me if you are interested and I can email you pictures before I put it up for sale on the site.

Back