help - i got a problem

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok - ive got a major problem - been re-doing a 1960 huffy belair - and the front forks were loose and when i tried to tighten them i noticed the top bearing nut, the one that had the cone on bottom for the bearing , was lopsided - so i disassembled the head tube, removed the bearings and on closer inspection the threads at the top of the tube are bent - ...? -no wonder that nut and stuff was terribly difficult to get off - i assume i will need to replace these forks now - bummer because wanted to keep them as they were original - is there any way to disassemble and keep forks and replace the tube only ???

-help please --

Picture366_zpsc067bd0d.jpg

Picture368_zps7675c7cb.jpg

Picture367_zps48498204.jpg

Disclaimer: I haven't tried this!!!!
Grind bent end until nothing sticks out from original shape. (Second disclaimer: this won't work if tube is bent more than thickness of the tube metal, don't grind completely thru the threads). Mix up some faux metal and smear it on to built back the end of the tube. Then, re-thread the end of the tube.
Final disclaimer: grind at your own risk!

I would just weld another steerer tube on. Like said above, do it close to where the tube meets the fork crown. Best bet is to cut the tube off maybe an inch from the crown. Source a tube from a donor fork, then cut the tube to the same length. Make a piece of tubing about 2" long that has an O.D. the same as the I.D. of the steerer tube and place inside the fork crown then put the steerer tube over it so that the smaller tubing reinforces the assembly. Then weld it up.

Walker said:
you could have a replacement steerer tube welded on. just make sure you make the seam low enough so it wont interfere with the stem
+1 This would be the way I would do it.

Luke.

I would straighten it up. It doesn't look bad enough to cut off.

when i tried to tighten it down - it was still at an angle ,ver noticable , and the bearing didnt seat properly and moisture, ect could get in there , not smooth at all

I personally would just replace that fork. Huffy made millions of them!
Nothing against repairs that are required, but this is the head tube, it involves safety, replacements are available and cheap.

Back