Help! Grease coming out of S2C Hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

It's time to bother you bunch of experts again.

So I finally got my new Sturmey Archer S2C hub on and running. I've done about maybe 10 miles on it while adjusting the saddle and swapping handlebars.

This morning I noticed some grease coming out of the hub. Is this normal? Or is it cause for concern?

greasyhub.jpg

I will do a write-up on my impression about this hub later. Briefly, weird at first but getting used to it.

Thanks guys!

its gotta be under warranty, id try where you got it or factory tech line. im interested in your thoughts/ opinion on this new hub.

TheFlyingDingo said:
It coulda been over-packed. And its now starting to ooze out...Is it sloppy?

I'm hoping that's the case from reading around online.

I wiped the grease off and took it for a spin. Now there's less coming out - just a ring of jet-black light grease around the dust cap.

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
That does not look right :? I'd call the company :|

Before I ordered this hub from Socal, I tried to contact Sun Race Sturmey Archer HQ in Taiwan to see if I could get a dealer closer to home. No reply. I've heard of people having better luck communicating with their rep in the Netherlands.

I'm really hoping it's just overpacked. It seems to work fine.

X-RAY said:
its gotta be under warranty, id try where you got it or factory tech line. im interested in your thoughts/ opinion on this new hub.

I will start a new topic on this after some light breaking in. So far I like it.

:p ya its normal.. as odd as that seems... it will stop after 50 mi. or so. both mine did the same thing and hey are stellar now.

unless its got noticeable drag or side to side slop in it you should be fine, looks like it was just packed full and the excess is working itself out. just my .02

Back