Help - Crank Removal

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I picked up this Supercycle Wedge for free, obviously she needs a bit of work. I am trying to strip down the parts and do not know how to remove this type of crank? I have no experience with this type of crank. Are there any how-to's or pointers you may have for me??

Any help is appreciated, thanks, Sean

Your photos aren't showing up?

And when it says hit it like you mean it- do so. :) Just took the cotters off my Western Flyer.

Back the nut off just a little and hit it then back it off a little more and hit it again. You can bend the pin and mess up the threads if you hit it without the nut.

The link above is a good one. Most of that stuff I learned through trial and error. You might try PB Blaster on the pin after taking the nut off and letting it soak. After putting the nut back on I would recommend using the proper socket and socket extension and hitting the end of the extension with a steel hammer.This usually can ward off bending the threaded part of the pin by keeping the hammer blows straight. Like the link says if the threads get bent all is not lost. If it won't straighten again I've used a small chisel to cut the threaded portion off then you can really blast the pin out with a good steel hammer or small sledge and a flat head punch. If it budges a little try rocking the crank arm on the axle a bit to take some tension off the pin and it should come out easier.

I sometimes hit cotter pins, but much prefer to loose the nut off a little, then put a large diameter nut on the plain end of the cotter pin. Hold it on when I flip the frame on top of a vice, or vise, how ever you spell it there. :roll:
Open the jaws out so that theres space to hold the crank arm, cotter and big nut. The cotter held in the jaws of the vice, so the BB axle is straight up and down. then tighten the handle on the jaws. It will get stiff and then a sudden bang. Frame might move, loose.
You have to be very carefull to keep the frame straight and level, as you can bend the cotter pin, then its murder to get out. Hammering ussually bends cotter pins.

Is that a large diameter bb shell as for a 1 piece crank, with an adaptor axle in there? Or is it really small diameter and has a Thomson bb axle in there?

Back