Help: 1958 Schwinn American Klunker Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of other things to keep in mind. Schwinn used a few different rim sizes so if you get older Schwinn wheels you'll want the S2 rims. It should be stamped somewhere on the rim. These will fit any standard 26" tire from cruiser tires to mountain bike tires to 26" BMX tires. Modern Schwinns also use the standard 26" wheel size.

If you get a parts bike avoid anything British made as all of the standards are different and nothing will be compatible, including yet another 26" tire size. British bikes use different threading so nothing will bolt onto an old Schwinn.

If the Tange fork is too long, do bike shops cut them down for you or do I need to have some other business do it?

A couple of other things to keep in mind. Schwinn used a few different rim sizes so if you get older Schwinn wheels you'll want the S2 rims. It should be stamped somewhere on the rim. These will fit any standard 26" tire from cruiser tires to mountain bike tires to 26" BMX tires. Modern Schwinns also use the standard 26" wheel size.

If you get a parts bike avoid anything British made as all of the standards are different and nothing will be compatible, including yet another 26" tire size. British bikes use different threading so nothing will bolt onto an old Schwinn.
Thanks for the tip Captain!

If you use a 1" threaded fork you don't need the conversion. Just match the headset and stem sizes to the fork you'll be using and match the handlebar to the stem size. Style is just based on what you like. There's lots of options, sky's the limit!
Thanks for the help Pondo!

If the Tange fork is too long, do bike shops cut them down for you or do I need to have some other business do it?
It's fairly easy to trim the top off with a hacksaw yourself. Once you know exactly how much is needed to trim off, then double check it and saw it off.
I assemble the fork onto the frame with cone nut, washer, and cap nut then mark the excess above it.

Then I take the cap nut and washer off and back off the cone nut to make a guide for the hacksaw, then cut off the excess just under the mark so the cap nut will go back on with just the right amount of threads. I use a file to smooth the rough end where it was cut. Back off the cone nut so it cleans the threads for you and then the washer and cap nut should go right on.

I'll make a thread on this tomorrow and post it in the "How to" forum section.

It's fairly easy to trim the top off with a hacksaw yourself. Once you know exactly how much is needed to trim off, then double check it and saw it off.
I assemble the fork onto the frame with cone nut, washer, and cap nut then mark the excess above it.

Then I take the cap nut and washer off and back off the cone nut to make a guide for the hacksaw, then cut off the excess just under the mark so the cap nut will go back on with just the right amount of threads. I use a file to smooth the rough end where it was cut. Back off the cone nut so it cleans the threads for you and then the washer and cap nut should go right on.

I'll make a thread on this tomorrow and post it in the "How to" forum section.
Thanks for the tutorial. Much appreciated

I have the original gooseneck, just no handlebars. Any recommendations for bars that are not those big wide cruiser bars something more that looks like BMX bars but still able to slide through the gooseneck?

I have the original gooseneck, just no handlebars. Any recommendations for bars that are not those big wide cruiser bars something more that looks like BMX bars but still able to slide through the gooseneck?
Unless you were going to pry open your gooseneck, and then squeeze it back shut you won’t be able to do many bars that have a crossbar. And some you can get lucky and slip the crossbar through the gooseneck opening and then do kind of a Rubiks cube twist to get it into the right position, but more than likely you will end up just finding a bar you like without a crossbar

Old aluminum dirt bike bars have removable crossbars that can be adapted to almost any handlebar
IMG_4168.jpeg
IMG_4169.jpeg

I have an opportunity to pick up some 26” alloy cruiser rims for $20 each. Would the Tange forks typically fit a cruiser rim?
Are those complete wheels? Rear hub a 3 speed or one speed? A good coaster hub would be great for your first build. Easy to work with. If it has a cluster for 7 speeds or is a freewheel, you'll need to find brakes.
Post up some pics of your parts and bike.
The Tange forks should take a cruiser wheel, if not, it's an easy mod to make it work.

Are those complete wheels? Rear hub a 3 speed or one speed? A good coaster hub would be great for your first build. Easy to work with. If it has a cluster for 7 speeds or is a freewheel, you'll need to find brakes.
Post up some pics of your parts and bike.
The Tange forks should take a cruiser wheel, if not, it's an easy mod to make it work.
Yes complete wheels with new tires on them. One speed. Appears to be a coaster because I see no brakes or shifter in the photos. What kind of mod are you talking about in case it’s necessary?

There is no cure. You’re just going to have to live with this disease.
I’m a guitar player too. I have too many guitars so it’s starting to spill over this new obsession lol.

Yes complete wheels with new tires on them. One speed. Appears to be a coaster because I see no brakes or shifter in the photos. What kind of mod are you talking about in case it’s necessary?
If the wheels are straight, 20 bucks each is a good deal. New tires are more of a plus.

As for a mod to fit a cruiser wheel into a Tange fork, it probably won't be necessary. But it's usually the fit of the axle width on some forks, probably not an issue on Tange forks.

If the wheels are straight, 20 bucks each is a good deal. New tires are more of a plus.

As for a mod to fit a cruiser wheel into a Tange fork, it probably won't be necessary. But it's usually the fit of the axle width on some forks, probably not an issue on Tange forks.
Sounds good. Will keep that in mind when it is fork time. Getting the rims Saturday.

What’s the usual cost to true a rim if they are off?
Every time I took a wheel to a bike shop, they tried to sell me a new wheel. Even when it wasn't a bad warp, they said it was too far gone and I should get a new wheel for about 50 bucks.

You could get a truing stand and learn how. It just takes a little patience.

Here in the Philippines I get all my wheels trued at the bike shop after I lace them up. But it's just a couple dollars and it supports the local bike shop.

Back