Hello from SW Virginia

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all :D
I'm a mtn biker first and foremost,but love anything bike related. I've admired Ratrod and Cruiser bikes in pics and blogs for a while,and since I just found this site,I had to join! I've never built/owned a ratrod type bike,but my interest is definitely piqued,and I have a few older bikes laying around (not fat tired,sadly,but older none-the-less) that are in desperate need of refurbishing anyways,so I hope to learn from all of you,and get started building my first this year. Hopefully,I can help someone else along the way.

I'm 35,married to a wonderful wife and have 2 beautiful (and beautifully rotten :p ) kids. Recently was pushed out of my career by my Doc and D.O.T. due to an old spinal injury,so I've been settling into the role of Mr. Mom for a few months. Money's tight,but I gots plenty of time (Hmmm...I used to have decent income,and no time...funny how that works,huh?),at least till the wife finishes college,so I'm definately into learning to DIY it on a budget,so after reading Ratrod's intro of the site,this should be kool for me!

Despite the medical thing,I love to ride (like I said,my passion is sweet singletrack),and I think I already have more trail miles in this year than all of last year :roll: ,so I'm digging this "forced retirement" thing. Anyways,that's me,see ya around here :)

Steve

Re: Hello from SW Viginia

Welcome! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

It will probably take me a while-LOL! Still not sure what direction I want to go,where to find parts (that I can afford),and no access to a welder (LOL,or someone who can use it :p ...I inherited a set of torches when we bought this place a few years ago,but have never brazed either).

Thanks for the welcome mat :D

welcome to the forum!
lately I have been inlove with ratty road bikes :) so anything is possible!
P3050016.jpg

P4190003.jpg

I love the bikes in your Myspace page (thanks again for the add :D ). I have a couple older Schwinn lady's bikes,an unknown vintage lady's and a couple BF Goodrich townies to work with...but no idea where to go w/ em,where to get parts,etc....but I guess that's part of the learning experience/fun,isn't it? 8)

I think I might try that build-off...just have to figure out what's my best candidate. I'll get some pics soon. :)

Welcome Steve! :)
You've come to the right place! Anything you might run into when you start building, I can almost promise you that someone here knows how to do it and is willing to share their knowledge. Have fun!! :D

I'm sure I'm not the only one who identifies with that money/time conundrum, that's part of the deal on a lot of these builds. This site is great!

Thanks,guys!!! It's nice to find a good group,and be welcomed into the fold. :D

deorman said:
I'm sure I'm not the only one who identifies with that money/time conundrum, that's part of the deal on a lot of these builds. This site is great!

I agree! One good thing is that building a bike and having fun doing it doesn't have to cost much at all, and the bike can still come out great! :D

Here's a few future possibilities (and unfortunately...my enitre stash-wish I had bunches more :mrgreen: ).

Parking area (complete w/ gaurd dawg :p )
ParkingandJunkYardDawg.jpg

I don't have any info on this one...maybe when I start stripping/sanding that mile-thick brushed on paint...
UnknownVintageLadys.jpg

1968 Schwinn-either a Breeze or Hollywood,not sure.
1968SchwinnHollywood.jpg

Schwinn Traveler III-I dunno who rode it,but they had to be really tall :shock:
SchwinnTravelerIII.jpg

80's Schwinn Mesarunner-I had it setup as a retro mtn SS for a while,then borrowed some parts off it.
SchwinnMesarunner.jpg

Diamondback Outlook frame and trashed forks (wheels borrowed from elsewhare for a pic),picked it out of the dump.
DiamondbackOutlook.jpg

BF Goodrich lady's bike-complete and nearly ridable (needs tubes),bought together from a yardsale along with...
BfGoodrichwomens.jpg

BF Goodrich men's bike. Ridable except for the flats. Bought as a hisn hers set a few years ago.
BfGoodrichmens.jpg

Barn find (well,OK,behind my shed,was there when we bought the place apparently)
Barnfind1.jpg

Anybody have any info on any of these? EG:Years,makes,etc

Wow...I never realized how bad the rear door facing looked! :shock: Gunna hafta fix that this year :mrgreen:

Back