Hello From SoCal - 1957 Rusty Tornado

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ,

Great Site Here.

Been lurking here a short time to get ideas for my new hobby. I bought two rusty Schwinn frames off ebay. The first a 1959 Spitfire cantilever and a 1957 Tornado Straightbar.

I wanted to Rat-Rod both so I started with the Tornado. I was going to try to get this into the build-off but I didn't take enough pictures through the process.

Replaced the headset and neck with black
22" black Ape Hangers
68 Spoke Black on Black wheels
Kenda Flame Tires
Lime Green Chain

Next probably a new seat and replace the crank bearings and pedals. Maybe add some type of fenders.

I like that I can change parts out quickly and change the look of the bike if I want too.

RuShep (aka Rusty)

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I take the bike down to the Newport Beach bike path on occasion and it definitely turns heads. I have heard comments like "cool bike" and "I want that bike" mostly from adults. I have also heard a few negative ones, mostly from kids (girls). I heard "that's an ugly bike" and one girl even said "I hate that bike"

I found it interesting that a mere bicycle could bring out hate in someone!

Either way I love the bike and can't wait to get started on my next one, the 1959 Spitfire

Cheers!

Rusty

Back