Hello from Farmington Hills, Michigan

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow bike enthusiasts!
I've been following RRB posts on FB for quite awhile now, and like to check out the build posts.

I've been interested in many different aspects of bicycles and bicycling for especially the last five years.

I have ridden a couple century rides on older ten-speeds and like to do weekend camping touring trips. I ride my bike to work every day all year around. This is my 3rd winter of bike commuting.

I've had a lot of bikes that I've bought and sold in the last few years. I watch Craigslist a lot and like to go to flea markets, yard sales, and swap meets looking for bargains and treasures. I try to make all of my bike purchases American made bikes. Mostly Schwinns from the early '70s.

Last summer I rebuilt a '65 Schwinn Typhoon that I did in the klunker style. Just recently I finished redoing a 1970 Schwinn Collegiate. My skills and knowledge are limited but I have a good manual for older bikes, and I reference the web a lot (especially the Sheldon Brown site). My funds are also limited but I want to do more easy builds/modifications.

My current stable of bikes includes:
1973 Schwinn SuperSport go fast and far bike (bb, crank, and wheels modernized). My best bike.
1971 Schwinn Suburban 3speed. Tall frame. Surisingly fast and fun bike. Fenders=rain bike.
1970 Collegiate 5 speed modified with mountain bike wheels and raised handelbars. Utility bike.
1965 Schwinn Typhoon modified in Klunker style with easy 1x1 gears designed for off road fun.
1986 Specialized Rock Hopper mountain bike with fat knobby 2.3" tires for my winter commuting.

Ride On Everyone!

Thanks for reading.

welcome, would love to see pics of your schwinns etc

Troy

not sure how to post photos.
Do I need to find an external image hosting service and past link?
If so, recommendations?

The frame is a 1970 Schwinn Collegiate 5 speed I got for $20.
Wheels replaced from a Sears Freespirit mountain bike.
Brake calipers from a Huffy mountainbike
Brake levers from an old Schwinn Suburban
Replaced bent fork with a different Schwinn fork I bought off ebay.
Swapped drop handlebars with these Wald bars that have a 5" rise (with added cork grips)
Regreased bottom bracket crank and headset.
I call it "Franky Goes To College".
SchwinnCollegiate1970.jpg

Welcome!
It is indeed a small world; my wife was raised in Farmington Hills, she lived on 12-mile Road between Halstead and Haggerty!

Cool bikes you have there – a nicely done Typhoon.
65SchwinnTyphoon.jpg

Back