Hello from Crazy-Dutchland

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...better known as the Netherlands. Europe's biking capital.

My name's Thomas, or Gooney(Bird). I found this forum through Google (as do most things internet-related) and thought it would be a nice place to hang out, and shoot the you-know-what about Ratted bikes.

Right now, I own 1 bike, a Union Vitra which is really un-rat-like with a luxurious 7-speed Nexus, HID headlight and what-not, but I am no stranger to ratted bikes. I am looking to purchase an Electra Rat Rod at the Chopperdome in Amsterdam to replace a self-ratted bike I had a while ago, that sadly died in a head-on collision with a rent-a-biker (tourist renting a bike without any riding experience, and taking it to the mean streets). I found out that having nothing but a sort-of working coaster brake does not make for short stops. That brake had roughly 2 settings, coast and lock-up. :lol:

Anyway, on to the pictures.
unionvitraherenmodel.jpg

My 'normal' bike. Comfy, fast, and really belly-button (everyone has one just like it) A factory photo, since mine is identical, save for a few pinstripes here and there, and a lot of dirt. I, surprisngly, don't have any photos of it.

My own Ratcycle. I built it myself from that pink bike, plus hours of pinstriping, and scrounging parts from donor bikes.
ratcyclekg3.jpg

dsc2996sv3.jpg

And then I hit that Rent-a-biker, and when I limped it home (broken front wheel, bent front fork) I noticed that the frame had several large cracks forming on the upper tube. Game over man, game over. I saved a few parts, and binned the rest. It hurt. Hours and hours of paintwork and fabricating. (Brackets don't make themselves, y'know?)

Oh, and I own a '96 Fiat Cinquecento Sporting, and a '79 Zündapp GTS 50 moped. The moped was restored ground-up, and really is my 200 pound, West-German baby. :)
dsc6530vr4.jpg

dsc5488kg9.jpg

dsc54912ua0.jpg

Pictures of the Electra as soon as I can get my grubby little paws on it. :)

Hey GooneyBird,Welcome Aboard!

I recognise your name from a Douglas DC-3 airplane

Welcome aboard!

Hey yonger hoo gaat het de mey? Mein hollanse is neit so goot. Welcom. Waar ben ye van? Moi feitse. :roll: :lol:

BASTY 76 said:
Hey yonger hoo gaat het de mey? Mein hollanse is neit so goot. Welcom. Waar ben ye van? Moi feitse. :roll: :lol:

Erg goed. Uw Nederlands is inderdaad goed. Waar komt u vandaan? Ik kom uit de buurt van Amsterdam. :)

Very good! Aside from a few spelling errors, it is legible to some who doesn't speak English. Where are you from, and how have you picked up Dutch?
Oh, and I just ordered my Electra today. Should be here thursday or friday. Can't, freakin', wait! :D

Hey Gooney Bird, my parents are both Dutch. Dad is from Rotterdam and Mum is from Appeldorn so I grew up speaking Dutch. (but not writting it :lol: ) Your rat bike was cool sorry to hear it got trashed :( Are you going to modify your electra ?

BASTY 76 said:
Hey Gooney Bird, my parents are both Dutch. Dad is from Rotterdam and Mum is from Appeldorn so I grew up speaking Dutch. (but not writting it :lol: ) Your rat bike was cool sorry to hear it got trashed :( Are you going to modify your electra ?

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Cool, I've heard Dutch is a really hard language to master for someone who doesn't speak a germanic (like German) language. I've been to Rotterdam and Apeldoorn (1 p, 2 o's :wink: ) several times. Weird huh?

The rat bike was indeed pretty .... sweet. I was SO sorry to see it go. .... rent-a-bikers. Well, I learned my lesson, I will not ride a bike without front brakes anymore. I'm probably going to do small mods here and there to the Electra, perhaps a sweet custom pinstripe, but it's pretty 'custom' out of the box, so I'm not sure how much I can do with it.

Post some pics of it, I'm sure evryone here will give you ideas on how to make it reeeeally custom :!: :lol: 8)

BASTY 76 said:

hey oke my first post still have to make an intro. need some foto's of my bikes
but i live in apeldoorn the netherlands :lol:

leuke oma fiets.

Latest posts

Back