Heavyweight build "FATBOB" CHANGES!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Single sided stay/forks '59 Cadillac bike. TANK INSTALLED!

Not worried too much about levers on the bars, was just trying to avoid cables running to the bars so the bars could be easily removed for transport, I could just make it easy for them to fold down.

A lever for the airhorn, a lever for the gears, and a lever for the brake(s) is it just too much? I doubt that I will be able to ride the bike with no hands so that I can alert someone in the way, brake to avoid them and change down gears so I can get moving again, all while trying to steer... :shock:

I know it is not a practical bike, but it would be nice to safely ride it... Would not want to run into someone with it, it could do serious damage even at low speeds.

Problem is, if I fit the brakes to the bars, then really the gears and horn should all be up there, so that full control can be maintained. :|

What do you guys think of a compromise, reverse bullhorn brake levers on the bars, "suicide" airhorn lever on one side of the frame behind the tank, and "suicide" gear lever on the other side?

Then again, I have not compromised elsewhere on the bike, be a shame to start now... Probably should keep them all on the frame behind the tank. Gears/airhorn on one side, front/rear brake on the other. Basically two sets of tandem levers like "expjawa's" "BonniRocket" RRBBO7 bike (viewtopic.php?f=67&t=56390&st=0&sk=t&sd=a), just doubled to one on each side. Should be possible with practice to use both brakes at once with one hand, or I can put 2 callipers on just the back disc and actuate with just the one lever, pretty sure I have a gyro style cable here somewhere...

WP_000249.jpg

Already have his permission to use something similar...

So choices are:
1/ Full safety mode, everything on the bars.
2/ Compromise, brakes on bars, gears and horn on the frame.
3/ No compromise, look good but possibly impractical, everything on the frame.

Maybe I can build a lever for the brakes with an old friction gear-lever in the end, brake and change gears with one hand, reach out a thumb for the airhorn lever and keep the left hand on the bars... :roll:

So what do you guys think?

I just discovered this build from a link in the "weight" thread, so cross linking is good!

Went through skimming each page, I noticed that you ask this a lot:

LukeTheJoker said:
So what do you guys think?

And inevitably you come up with great solutions.

I don't have an idea for which route to go on the levers, but I don't see any as a compromise. I think 1 lever on the handlebars for the brakes, use one of those brake levers that has 2 cable attachments, and then everything else "suicide."

The horn could be foot operated with the "button" up in front of the crank so you can take a foot off the pedal and tap it.

LukeTheJoker said:
Wimpy, I think in your build thread you were running out of money as to a lack of work, now you have too much work... You seem to like the extremes!

kingfish254 said:
Man that tank is the BOMB! Literaly. It looks like a bomb. You need to paint it up like an old WWII bomb.
Not sure if this is quite what you meant, but it does look good!

DSC00160 shark tank by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

:D Luke.

Looking good man!!!!
aIMG_8134.jpg

Glad you found the build Yoothgeye, bit of a fan of your work on sand rover, very cool bike!

I think Yoothgeye has got the right idea on the single lever on the bars, brake with one hand, do gears/horn with the other on the frame. I like it.
Didn't even think about using one lever... :roll:

I had forgotten you used the shark teeth on the flexy build Kingfish! I see where you are coming from now!

Thanks everybody! Going to try get the seat mounted up today, hope to have some pictures for you soon...

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
Glad you found the build Yoothgeye, bit of a fan of your work on sand rover, very cool bike!

I think Yoothgeye has got the right idea on the single lever on the bars, brake with one hand, do gears/horn with the other on the frame. I like it.
Didn't even think about using one lever... :roll:

Thanks my upside down brother! After seeing your fab work on this build aiming a big fan.

2 brake levers are ideal on a mountain bike where you need different type of braking styles for terrain, same for a road. Ike, but I suspect yours will just be a cruiser with the need to stop itself, that means a strong lever, you already have strong brakes you just need to adjust your brakes, more up front and less in rear for the same pull.

Re: Single sided stay/forks '59 Cadillac bike. SEAT ON!

yoothgeye said:
2 brake levers are ideal on a mountain bike where you need different type of braking styles for terrain, same for a road. Ike, but I suspect yours will just be a cruiser with the need to stop itself, that means a strong lever, you already have strong brakes you just need to adjust your brakes, more up front and less in rear for the same pull.
Awesome, thanks, got some thinking to do...

Got some progress done today, made the seat swingarm and started on the spring mounts on the frame... Plus, the seat is revealed!

DSC00161 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

DSC00162 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

The seat swingarm is designed to look like ladder bars on a drag car, or bridge supports, you decide... :D They are certainly strong enough.

DSC00163 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

The frame starting up behind the seat is for a backrest, but will now be cut off, after trying it, it really does not need one, very comfortable seat and riding style. The seat is off some sort of farming implement and it really started this whole oversize bike idea in the first place. I have to say, it is the most comfortable bike seat I have ever sat on, some seats I have had feel like your sitting on an axe blade...

The spring mounts on the frame will be curved in to the bottom rail and the temporary centre support will be removed.

Cant wait to set up the bars and headlight now... Starting to look like a bike!

Luke.

Looks like my Brother has joined up! Figured this would be the best way for him to see the build rather than me describing it to him and sending random emails... :D

Luke.

Lukethejoker's Bro said:
Nice bruss. :mrgreen:

Welcome to RRB.
Now get to building! :mrgreen:

Great seat! (not a saddle)

I've had my eyes open for one of those for quite some time, just can't find one in my cheap price range.

Great work on the seat arm. That massive seat just fits the whole scale of this build.
I also like the adult scootter in the background.

Good question !
all i know is that thing's in RRB are getting serious :shock:

I have to admit it... I dig the big girls :) I have no idea where to begin... she is an amazing bike with all the right look and attitude. I love the seat, the metal work is very good, you obviously know your way around the shop :) good build, I'll go back to my designated corner and keep watching from the shadows.

Kudos on your build!

Rich

LukeTheJoker said:
some seats I have had feel like your sitting on an axe blade...

HHAHAHAAA! That's great! So is the new seat, loving this beast end-to-end. That's a nice scooter in the background too, got some pics of it?

Build on brother!

Cheers,
Dr. T

I couldn't agree more on the choice of your "couch". Cool. Some 35 years ago,me and a couple of friends owned a Puch Skyhunter,, as shown below (a Hasj-Puch we called it overhere :mrgreen: ) and we all mounted a similar tractorseat on our Puchs. It was outrageous,yet very comfy.
Good choice!

Wow! Did not expect this good a response to the seat! Glad everyone likes it!
yoothgeye said:
I've had my eyes open for one of those for quite some time, just can't find one in my cheap price range.
I actually swapped a stripped car for it, to the same guy I get all my scrapyard finds from. He had a stack of about 20 of them, just told me to pick out the one I wanted. This is the pressed steel version, not the cast iron version, he has them too but he collects them, not for sale. I have sat on both and the pressed ones are more comfortable anyway.
kingfish254 said:
Great work on the seat arm. That massive seat just fits the whole scale of this build.
I also like the adult scooter in the background.
Thanks Kingfish, glad you like it. I will get some photos of the scooter and post them up.
RichL said:
I have to admit it... I dig the big girls :) I have no idea where to begin... she is an amazing bike with all the right look and attitude. I love the seat, the metal work is very good, you obviously know your way around the shop :) good build, I'll go back to my designated corner and keep watching from the shadows.
Kudos on your build!
Rich
:D Thanks RichL! 15 years and a couple of awards in the fabrication game, ran my own business for a while before my health and confidence collapsed. Yeah, BIG is the right word for the bike, don't quite know how I am going to transport it... :|
Dr. Tankenstein said:
HHAHAHAAA! That's great! So is the new seat, loving this beast end-to-end. That's a nice scooter in the background too, got some pics of it?
Build on brother!
Cheers,
Dr. T
Oh yeah, the seats that modern bike come with :roll: I will post up some pics of the scooter soon, just got to take some and load them up.
wimpy said:
I couldn't agree more on the choice of your "couch". Cool. Some 35 years ago, me and a couple of friends owned a Puch Skyhunter,, as shown below (a Hasj-Puch we called it over here :mrgreen: ) and we all mounted a similar tractor seat on our Puchs. It was outrageous, yet very comfy.
Good choice!
They must have been awesome to ride with them on! Cool bike too!

Thanks for all your kind comments, I will get some pics of the scooter and post them up.

Luke.

As promised, pictures of the scooter...

It is not finished, as it is for my brother in law and he wants to paint it and fit the wooden deck board.

DSC00167 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

As you can see, the Lukethejoker rectangle tube overbuilt style is apparent...

DSC00168 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Rides really nice, gives you a good workout. Still have to fit rear brakes and swap the back wheel over for a bmx front wheel, this wheel was the only one I had that held air for a test ride...

DSC00169 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Should be great fun going down the hills near his place, not so much coming back up though!

Luke.

yoothgeye said:
Great seat! (not a saddle)

I've got a huge chrome metal seat from an exercise bike from the '30s, which I could sell you for a reasonable price. It's about the size of one of those John Deere seats, only bright chrome, with no wholes.

Back