Heavyweight build "FATBOB" CHANGES!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Single sided stay/forks heavy build. New name: "FATBOB"

I'm still on the fence about sectioning it, but my opinion doesn't matter since it is yours! Those bars are SWEET! Looking forward to seeing more.

i can see why you wouldnt want painted on white walls, but may i suggest, thin white rubber and glue - youd get that crisp edge whitewalls tend to have

Did some welding on the headlight today, seems like every hole I fix three more pop up, not sure if it really is salvagable, but I will keep trying anyway... Due to all the welding I have done on it, it is not as smooth as it was, probably going to have to give it a skim coat to clean it up when I finish, not happy about that as I wanted everything to be just metalworked if possible... Ah well...

Sorry for the slow progress, been working on the Muscle Bike build off bike, made up a wide rear rim and hub for it, took a couple of good days work out of me, also ran me out of welding gas which I could not get more till today, so not much happened on anything...

Progress soon hopefully...

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
Cool idea! Where do you get white rubber from though?

Luke.
I did a search on eBay for whitewaal inserts, I have seen some that are very low profile, they may be what you want... or not 8)

Rich

those bars are ridiculous.. Ridiculously awesome :lol:

serously though those are gonna look hecka cool on that bike :wink:

Yep, I think if I want whitewalls, inserts will be the go...

iven said:
those bars are ridiculous.. Ridiculously awesome :lol:
serously though those are gonna look hecka cool on that bike :wink:

Thanks Iven! Pretty happy with them for a first attemp! I am hoping I dont have to shorten them too much to get them to fit the bike...

Luke.

Well FatBob very graciously decided to donate both disc brakes and calipers to the rear wheel of the MuscleBikeBuildOff bike, thats all very nice, but left me with no brakes for it!
Managed to find a trashed dual suspension bike today that had a good magnesium RST fork with the brake caliper still attached, a little more hunting turned up the matching rim and disc, so threw that on the rear drive set up for a look see...

DSC00234 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

As you can see, I have a clearance issue... This is the first time I have tried a caliper with the 5 speed cluster on board, think I may have to upgrade to a 180mm/203mm disc... :roll:

Luke.

It looks kinda allright,but would it generate enough stopping-power? Don't know about FatBob's weight,but from personal experience with my Lowlife Limo (100 Lb),I guess it could be an issue. No emergency stops and screaming tyres with my ride. :?
I hope it 'll work out fine,Luke.

I gotta admit, I dont have a clue if it will work at all. Just going to have to try it out I guess, can always fork out more money to fit a front disc later on...

Luke.

Yea bicycle disc used wrong type of material that builds heat to be overheat and ratio miscalculation for weight. Hope you will find a way to stop this beast. I'm clueless but a bad thought maybe find small import car disc brakes but it will add more weight.

I noticed on a prior build off someone started building rim disc brakes, I wonder if that would disappate the heat? Might have to see what getting the discs cut for me would cost... :shock:
Another option I am thinking off is the disc brakes on small motorbikes, they seem to stop pretty well from decent speeds... Can get them cable operated too...

Luke.

you could always mount the disc caliper a tad higher?

The reason why I suggested import car disc brakes is because it will bolt on ur rim and all u need is create bracket for pads. You proably able to use rear disc brakes that has emergency cable brake to attach to lever or hand lever and one import car disc should be enough to stop ur bike. Of course depending on your bolt pattern rim. Import rear disc look fairly small and thin that look light to me. Just a idea.

MplsCoaster said:
I was checking back in after a while
and can't believe all the work you've got done! :shock: 8)
Did you ever consider motorcycle disc brakes?
Like the new name :D
Keep up the good work

Glad you like it MplsCoaster! Actually have not done anything on this for a while, been too busy on the "Muscle bike build off" bike, but it is still turning over in my head... Here are some pics of the bike for the build off...

Custom made rear wheel and rear drop outs on the frame.

DSC00240 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Matching front wheel.

DSC00250 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Widened dual drive bottom bracket.

DSC00252 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Frame actually was inspired by your (MplsCoaster) 24inch Eliminator and the front end will be similar to "RailRiders" Purple Huffy Rail, with my own twist of course...

DSC00241 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Some awesome bikes getting built on the build off, well worth your time to have a look and get ready to pick your favorite come the 10th March! viewtopic.php?f=43&t=68143

Back to FatBob, I think the motorcycle disc is what will end up happening, I have found some that just fit inside the frame rails at 190mm (7+5/8inch) nearly twice as thick as the bike ones and the thankfully still cable operated caliper has twice the friction surface of the bike ones too, should pull it up no worries, just got to find the money for them...
Currently saving for a big trip to see all the extended family, about 8,000km (5,000Miles) by road up the east coast of Australia, through Sydney, Toowoomba, Airlie Beach, Rockhampton, Townsville, Cairns, up to the tablelands, back down to Mt Isa and then across and up to Darwin, and back! Hoping to take a couple of custom bikes with us! 8)

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
I noticed on a prior build off someone started building rim disc brakes, I wonder if that would disappate the heat? Might have to see what getting the discs cut for me would cost... :shock:
Another option I am thinking off is the disc brakes on small motorbikes, they seem to stop pretty well from decent speeds... Can get them cable operated too...

Luke.
rim disk brakes would defiantly work fine re heat, as there is so much less friction, also it may help because the amount of momentum you have from spinning such a big/beefy rim and heavy tire. it will be a lot of torque trying to stop that rim from inside... think street bike, the reason brakes are on rim is to reduce the friction and torque load. id say give the wheel a heavy spin and you can feel the difference in torque trying to stop it from the tire, then try closer to the hub... that right there should be a good demonstration of the torque it will have..
but then again it is a bike, and you've stated you're building a cruiser, not a speed machine.. i'll leave that conclusion to you bike guys...
*edit, actually beings it is single sided, i defiantly look into the torque load, im not sure how it would react to being on othe side of hub. just a thought, but brake load on one side of hub and wheel torquing off other seems it may increase the load situation..
anyway, still think you're doing some wild stuff and defiantly coming up with some original ideas and solutions... carry on

Good point pholTmonx, I would love to do it, but as you said it is probably overkill for a pedal powered cruiser, plus I had a look after I wrote that and would have to change the rear end of the frame again to get it to fit, that and the cost of getting a disc made probably means I wont be doing it... At this time anyway...

Luke.

Back