Headset won't stay tight?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The locknut for steering head bearings on my '61 Jaguar won't stay tight...I R&R'd both bearings with new. R&R the race on the steerer tube (fork) and on the head tube (frame). I adjusted the pre-load so that there wasn't any slop and tightened the locknut. I rode 10 miles today and when I got home the locknut was completely loose? Questions and/or suggestions? :?

Maybe you didn't whack the races in hard enough, and they settled in? If this is a recurring problem, perhaps you can solve it with a secondary lock ring, or a couple of drops of blue Loktite. :|

deorman said:
Maybe you didn't whack the races in hard enough, and they settled in? If this is a recurring problem, perhaps you can solve it with a secondary lock ring, or a couple of drops of blue Loktite. :|
I wondered about using Locktite... :wink:

Did you hold the race or turn it slightly counter clockwise with a pair of channelocks as you tightened down the locknut?

Sometimes if you dont you get exactly what you describe.

meatwad1 said:
Did you hold the race or turn it slightly counter clockwise with a pair of channelocks as you tightened down the locknut?

Sometimes if you dont you get exactly what you describe.
Yea I did...I'll try and get some pics up this weekend so 'yall can see what's up! :|

Latest posts

Back