Headset size for a pre war Columbia?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Memorial Day. Trying to fix my headset on the Columbia. The threads on the fork seem to be standard but the cup and race size are definitely a little weird. Does anyone know the actual size for a pre war Columbia? The headset on there now is a little odd, I can post a pic if you need but it has a small threaded thing that goes on top of the bearings with a little notch on it. It's basically hidden. You tighten it down by wacking the notch with a screw driver. The main problem here is getting the cups to fit into the frame. I'd be happy to buy some parts for this if anyone has some for sale. Thanks

I have a couple of prewar Columbias and not sure what you are talking about...nothing in the headset is "whacked with a screwdriver." Mine had a traditional bearing race, washer and nut. Now the bottom bracket was a little different but still not a problem..maybe take some pics and I can be more help. As for parts, try bicyclebones on ebay, he may have some used stufff.

Yes, it's similar to whats on a crank! But the problem is really just getting cups that will fit into the frame. Nothing will fit, either way too small or just a spec too large.

Back