HEADSET grease how do i apply it and do i use my hands

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
howdy i installed my headset first i put on the bottom crown then i added the bearing and i placed it into the bottom cup then put it up through the frame of the bike then i placed in the top bearing into the top cop then i added the top race then a washer then the locknut could somebody please tell me if i did it right heres some photos please anybody respond soon im very anixous to know
columbiaheadset022.jpg
columbiaheadset025.jpg
columbiaheadset016.jpg

Re: HEADSET ??????

looks like the top bearing race is upside down bud. take off the nut, then the washer, then unthread the threaded bearing race, turn it the other way so the angled part goes down in to contact the ball bearings, and thread it back on. then put the washer back on, and thread the big nut back on.

ok?

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
looks like the top bearing race is upside down bud. take off the nut, then the washer, then unthread the threaded bearing race, turn it the other way so the angled part goes down in to contact the ball bearings, and thread it back on. then put the washer back on, and thread the big nut back on.

ok?
wow thanks im preatty stupid for not knowing that i it upside down thanks so much for letting me know im glad to know how to hook up i never could do that stuff before now that i know how to do it seems so easy now thanks so much

glad to help, and glad it's starting to make sense to you. it's fun. put lots of grease in there, and wipe off excess that squeezes out after you assemble it.

i dident do that i dont have any grease i will half to get some sometime when i have some extra money :D

I wouldn't ride it til you have grease in it, or else you'll end up having to spend money on a new headset and bearings... a tub of grease at Napa is like 5 bucks and new headset is like 16 plus a 5 buck tub of grease...

Re: HEADSET ?????

oops i all ready rode it :roll: what parts do i grease :?: and do i use my hands to apply it

Well, I grease the bearings, and I use my hands. I also put a liberal amount of grease in each cup when I assemble it. And i use my hands. Just put a big glob of grease in the palm of one hand, then put ther bearing there and push grease all around the bearing, on the inside and outside, until there is grease all around each ball all the way around the bearing. Then I put a smear of grease all the way around each cup in the headstock of the frame. This will help hold the bearings in place as you assemble the fork.

You want to make sure that any part where metal moves against metal gets greased to reduce friction. Friction makes metal wear out. So, headset bearings need to be greased, bearings in the bottom bracket (where the cranks go into the frame) need to be greased, and wheel bearings in the hubs need to be greased. As long as your wheels roll and brake okay, don't worry about taking the hubs apart and re-greasing them just yet. Rebuilding a coaster brake is pretty tricky the first couple times, and chances are your wheels aren't going to need new grease. Everything else, though, you should make sure that it's got fresh grease so that the parts don't wear out or break on you. Brigmaster's instructions for how to grease bearings are right on. Good luck!

thanks but if i tank the crank out i will i get the chain back on

Well, I would start by loosening the rear wheel so your chain is slack. Then you can take apart the crank. The chain can stay on the frame, you don't have to take it off. Once you grease the crank bearings and put it all back together, you can put the rear wheel back on amd put the chain back on the sprockets then tighten up the rear wheel.

how do i get the chain back on the sprocket that was what i was talking about how do i do that

Well, with the rear wheel loose, you should just be able to lay it on. The only thing that holds it onto the sprocket is the back wheel being pulled tight against the chain... The tension of the chain holds it on. If you loosen up the two nuts on the back wheel, it will slid forward, your chain will get loose, and you can take it off and put it back on as you please.

I get a pack of cheap latex gloves from the dollar store, 10 pair for a buck. I wear them when doing really dirty or greasy work.

thanks latex gloves i think tear easy though i will probably have me dad get me some diswashing rubber gloves i saw some real cool ones for i think 2.99 they were black palm and fingers with a white and black zebra print gauntelet

The latex gloves can tear easy, but yhere really aren't many shrp things to tear them on... THe dishwashing gloves, while much thicker, will never really come clean, where the latex ones you can just through away. Also, nitrile gloves work great too. They don't tear as easy. I know a lot of professional mechanics(my father included) who wear those every day. And if they do tear, they just grab another one...

GREASE???

Grab a dolop of it and smear it in/on your CLEAN bearings like your icing a cake.Too much is just right.

Gloves...heh,cleaning hands are what shop rags and pants legs are for,and the little bathroom soaps I horked from the motel. :mrgreen:

howdy applied grease to headset and crank and bearings today i just used my hands i did not take the balls out of the bearings though i dont like doing that it i cut my finger on one the bearings the other day i wasent greaseing the bearings that day i was just place them in and i cut my self when i was trying to bend the tabs down i also greased the chain and the back wheel sprocket and think the front sprocket too i did not half to by a tub of grease at the end of my street you take a left and right on the next street over theres a gas station garage i called them and asked if they sell grease and they let me have cup full for 2$ so i took a old thermos lid from the kitchen drawer and took it down so when ever i need grease it will be easy to get :mrgreen:
Fly's in the grease,
Shoo, fly, shoo,
Fly's in the grease,
Shoo, fly, shoo,
Fly's in the grease,
Shoo, fly, shoo,
Skip to my Lou, my darlin :p :lol: :idea: :!: '

Hey JF,You shouldnt have to remove the bearing balls from the cages...

I soak them in gas and scrub them with an old toothbrush.

Let them dry then grease 'em up.

i rode it to the convience store and i got a oakhurst chocolate milk and a package of grandmas peanut butter cookies it rides very well i dident remove the balls from the bearing that time before i greased them they just where falling out im not sure if they were the same bearings or not.to clean the old grease off the crank i just wiped it as best i could with old dirty boot sock with holes in it i did not wipe any of the old grease off anything else :D

Back