header wrap or handle bar wrap ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what works better for wrapping bars ? i was thinking of wraping a set of ape hangers but im not even sure how the stuff works.

I used hockey stick tape on my bars and areas like the chainstays and the cantilever bars where things my rub together.
DSCF2069.jpg

Good luck!
Dr. T

'Cork' tape, gel tape, electrical tape, cotton tape, leather tape, really any 1/2" or so wide tape should do the trick. There are tutorials on youtube that are way more clear than anything I could write. They focus on drop bars, but the concepts apply to any bars.

I was going to use header wrap on my scooter, but at $30 to $50 a roll I decided to go with something else. I used venetian blind binding, and then clear coated it.It's a cloth used on 2" wooden blinds.
I've used cloth bar tape on my bars back in the 70's and cork since it has come out, it's has more cushion than cloth, when you rap your bars start from the end and work your way to the middle and then tape the end of the rap with vinyl tape.

Go to the uphostory supply story and get a roll of bias tape.A very large roll cost $20.Enough for 10 bikes.Looks like cotton bar tape with out the stickum on the back.You can candy cane the bars first with double stick tape.Only problem with using bias tape is one side has a seem(or ridge)so you have to pull off enough to rap the "other" side and start the rap from the end you just cut.While at the uphostory supply store also buy a can of "sew"Brand uphostory paint---in the color you want the bar tape---just spray it.Clear coat it if you wish.

I wrapped a header with some header wrap and didn't wear any gloves and I wouldn't put it on the handlebars of my worst enemy. The last couple of header wraps I bought were DEI which they even state is a composite fiberglass with some type of coating but it still felt like I was handling fiberglass insulation bare handed afterwards for a good few hours. The next time I used rubber gloves. So I say give a shot and let us know. lol. I'd say just pick up some cloth handlebar tape as it's pretty cheap but not very comfy.

Latest posts

Back