has anyone ever used Krylon Fusion Plastic Paint

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have.... I think that the trick to getting them to hold out well is to first grind the sidewalls smooth, and clean it real well. I just did one wheel on my car, and it looked killer, but I didn't smooth the sidewall first, and even though it had dried for 48 hours, it started cracking when backed it out of the drivewall 15 feet.

check this out for more info:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/show ... php?t=8249

However, after my experience, I'm planning on ordering tire paint from Ranger tomorrow to redo mine. It's only $9 a can, versus $25 a can for the Icelandic paint, and seems to be nearly identical.

Did you grind the tire first? If not, I'm curious to see if the ammonia makes any difference. I don't think it my situation it will, it didn't flake off or act like it was dirty, it's almost like the combination of surface irregularity and side loading caused it, and that was running @ 50PSI in the tires. Just curious if it works for you, perhaps I can reapproach it instead of order $75 worth of that icelandic paint.

its not really gonna matter how you prep it the paint wont flex as well as the rubber and sooner or later it will flex and crack then peel.........you could try flex agent for bumpers but im pretty sure that wouldnt work either.......sorry to be the bearer of bad news

anyone ever tried the paint that is used for rc car bodies? i know it is designed to be flexible but i would imagine that if you either ran the tires really low, or changed a flat the paint would crack.

new_dharma, how'd it turn out? I'm gonna guess, not so good.

I ordered some tire paint from Ranger Labs, and well, it looks really promising. I painted one tire put it back on the car, drove about 15 miles, and it looks good still... got in the car this morning (to go get more foam brushes) and by the time I drove about 6 miles, it was cracking. I don't think many paints at all are going to work well... I keep hearing about that icelandic paint, but it's like $25 +$25 shipping for one can, an awfull lot to burn to try it. I guess I'll just swap my tires around so that the failed whitewalls are facing inward, and save my pennies.

WT, that link was interesting, but I was reading about some of their products and I checked the pricing on one of them and it was $97 for a quart of the stuff or almost $300 for a gallon.

You can buy a lot of whitewall tires for $97. :lol:

Krylon Fusion paint works pretty darn well for hard plastics, but I believe was not intended for rubber.

Seems like the "recap" tire companies use a black tire paint available at http://www.millertire.com/repairs.asp
The smallest amount you can purchase is a quart at $15.00, but is diluted 50/50 with water and would do alot of tires.

Also, you may be able to find an off-the-shelf product I used on a VW bug project once called "Tire Black." This is a liquid that you brush on or possibly could spray with the right equipment. The last time I saw it for sale, it was available at AutoZone, Pep Boys or Checker (can't be sure which).

Yet another option is to try VINYL paint or dye. Usually sold in spray cans.

Hope this helps...

Krylon Fusion is made for plastic not rubber. I would suggest going to an auto parts store and finding a vinyl spray paint. I think they sell it to paint vinyl seats and dashes. It is made to flex so probably would be better for rubber. I've never tried it yet, but I have thought about it for changing a girls banana seat to all black.

You could spray it into the cap and just use a brush to apply to the sidewalls of the tire.

Latest posts

Back