Has anyone ever been hit by a car while bicycling?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got hit by a car. A gold Ford Taurus, which happens to be my least favorite car of all time. I was on a moped at the time, and both the car and the moped are completely ruined, as well as my leg. Anyone else have a similar experience?

that is a bummer. I hope your leg recovers quickly.

It's pretty traumatic; yes it happened to me once. I got hit by a person pulling into a business - they didn't see me. I got punted about 20', but had no broken bones, just a huge hemotoma (sp?), and a bent top tube. I was back racing within a couple weeks. And I had a close call once, a car hit my elbow with the side view mirror and knocked my hand off the bars. I didn't crash.

Recently a friend of mine rear ended a parked SUV while cycling. How's that for a role reversal? He went through the back window and fractured his C2 vertabrae. He'll be wearing a halo for 4-5 months.

again, I hope you recover quickly. Best wished to you.

Yikes. I'm glad you guys didn't sustain more serious injury or death. I've never been hit by a car but I'm always thinking about it as a moped and bike rider. Once I got a mirror on my bike, I quickly realized I'll never go back and I'll always look back. :wink: Sometimes you can still end up dead though.

This one guy not too far away from me died because he was riding his moped and hit a parked trailer on the side of the road. Blunt force trauma to the head was the cause of death (he wasn't wearing a helmet).

Get a mirror, wear a helmet, watch out for motorists and cross your fingers is the way I see it.

Man, sorry to hear you got hurt! Hopefully you make a quick recovery.

I was riding my bike home from the beach once, and got hit by a tow truck that was drifting into the bike lane, fortunately he kind of just pushed me over, and didnt actually HIT me. Jerk didnt even stop.

My brother was riding his road bike on a long ride and got hit by a pickup going 55. The truck hit him directly from behind, and his bike seat literally split his pelvis in half. He was in the hopsital for 3 weeks and had to get hundreds of stitches. That was probably 15 years ago, now he is totally fine.

Its amazing what we can come back from!!

When I was younger I was hit by a Dodge Intrepid on my 10 speed. Got out of it with a broken left wrist. I had just oiled my bike chain and the brakes failed to stop. Ruined the front wheel and bent the fork but my church pitched in and bought me a new mountain bike. :mrgreen:

Luckily I haven't been hit but close calls from idiots too close and dumb words like get on the sidewalk. Do people know why it's called a Side Walk and I do ride on a sidewalk sometimes but only if the road isn't good enough to ride on. My brother got hit sometime in the 80's.

Now that was cool man.

When I was about 10 years old (34 years ago), I ran into the side of a van that pulled out of a blind alley. Luckily I saw it at the last second, so I was able to brake a little bit. Plowed right into the passenger side of the van with my front wheel and did an endo. Made a nice little dent in the sliding door. I was unhurt and my bike was okay. The driver never even got out...just said something like 'you alright kid?' I said 'yeah' and he just drove off.

A couple years ago, a dude I worked with had no car and always rode a bicycle for transportation. One day he was hit by a car...they clipped his handlebar, he went down hard, the driver just took off! Another motorist pulled over to help him out. He ended up with a tooth knocked out and some major road rash, but no broken bones. The a-hole that hit him was never caught. :x

I hit a car that went through a stop sign, hit it so hard a wrecked his passenger side fender and fractured three ribs on my right side when I landed. My bike was "all good" so I continued on to my regular 21 mile ride, only thing really hurt me during the ride was my left leg, but just a bit. On my ride back home was a different story! After about half way back home I started to get short of breath, and my ribs began to ache, I didn't get to the hospital till 'round three days later when I couldn't take the "not beng able to breath" part! :lol: So I went on in yo th emergency room, they did their thing and next thing you know Im back home with pain meds AND antibiotics, seems I caught an infection in those cracked ribs, they said I was lucky I got to the hospital when I did, don't know why, I didn't ask either. A few years later I fractured the same ribs during a ride to a two alarmer, when we finished the job I reported the injury and saw the docs again, this time no infection so I just had to go home for a few weeks bed rest. :D BTW as I sit here typing Im healing up (rather nicely) from another rbike accident I had 'bout two weeks ago, fractured my ribs again...but on the other side! LOL! This one was worse than the other two as I have a visible "lump" there now, almost healed so I guess the lumps gonna be a keeper! :lol:

ilikebikes said:
I hit a car that went through a stop sign, hit it so hard a wrecked his passenger side fender and fractured three ribs on my right side when I landed. My bike was "all good" so I continued on to my regular 21 mile ride, only thing really hurt me during the ride was my left leg, but just a bit. On my ride back home was a different story! After about half way back home I started to get short of breath, and my ribs began to ache, I didn't get to the hospital till 'round three days later when I couldn't take the "not beng able to breath" part! :lol: So I went on in yo th emergency room, they did their thing and next thing you know Im back home with pain meds AND antibiotics, seems I caught an infection in those cracked ribs, they said I was lucky I got to the hospital when I did, don't know why, I didn't ask either. A few years later I fractured the same ribs during a ride to a two alarmer, when we finished the job I reported the injury and saw the docs again, this time no infection so I just had to go home for a few weeks bed rest. :D BTW as I sit here typing Im healing up (rather nicely) from another rbike accident I had 'bout two weeks ago, fractured my ribs again...but on the other side! LOL! This one was worse than the other two as I have a visible "lump" there now, almost healed so I guess the lumps gonna be a keeper! :lol:

Accident prone are we? :lol:

Latest posts

Back