Had a gut feeling...DONE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I figured it was kinda nice out so I'd go for a bike ride today, riding around through alleys not seeing anything for bikes I thought, "I wonder what has been scraped at the yard?". So I rode up that way. Upon primary search I saw a Huffy 10 speed broken and bent in a bin so I left it where it laid and left, was about to turn the corner around the back side of the yard and see a pile of kids bikes by the back gate :? Figured this deserved a closer look. Laying there under the mountain of kids bikes was this gem. I see the decals still intact and I knew it was going to follow me home. Serial is KD51016 so it is a
1968 Schwinn DeLuxe Hollywood built in October. The price? He is starting to wise up but still got a deal at $12

P8020027.jpg

No guessing as to what this is, It's readable!!! :shock: Schwinn DeLuxe Hollywood
P8020028.jpg

Little spit-shine on the paint and WOW!
P8020029.jpg

When's the last time you saw these original and still there?
P8020030.jpg

P8020033.jpg

Nice rack
P8020032.jpg

Even the seat tube decals are still intact and VERY readable.
P8020034.jpg

Really cool pedals
P8020035.jpg

and a Bendix red band coaster brake
P8020036.jpg

Re: Had a gut feeling

Also this is before any cleaning other than the spit shine on the chain guard to see what is there, it should clean up really nice. The fenders do need a few dents beaten out though.

cman said:
That should clean up good. Are the S7 tires good?

Actually I don't know if they are S7 or not, I know the rear has a big cut in it and the front is dry rotted a bit, I'll look at them closer later.

Looking again, they probably are not S7's with the drop center rims. I was going off the skinnier tire.

Well I went and looked and the front tire is an S-7 26 X 1 3/4 Did not see any S-7 stamp on the rim but it's pretty dirty so I'll have to clean it and see what comes up. Rear is 26 X 1.75 Non S-7..... Rims don't look like they match either, front is kinda flat across and the back is kinda peaked in the center. Both tires are Schwinn though, rear says Schwinn spitfire, front says Schwinn deluxe.

The back actually wasn't cut just has a large dryrot crack, the front is badly dry rotted but might still work. Very ratty though.

I had to post because it has a sticker that looks like the one on a Schwinn exercise bike I have, mine says Al's Cycle Shop Skokie, IL so what does your say?

8) Nice little complete bike.

Cool find :D Rub some steel wool on the chrome and polish it up :mrgreen:

Mine is missing a few pieces but is mostly there. It reads:
Mulhaup___
Schwinn Cycle__y
Lafayette, Ind.

That would be Mulhaupts Cyclery

In other news I got bored today and decided to do a little cleaning on it.
Got it all torn down, surprisingly easy and no real stubborn bolts. One fender bolt was a little testy but I wire brushed the threads and it came right off. The seat post had some kind of green fungus growing on it... :?
P8030038.jpg

Cleaned up the grips
P8030039.jpg

Back on the bike
P8040046.jpg

Cleaned the Messenger seat
P8040048.jpg

Cleaned and de-gunked the chain
P8030040.jpg

Good as new!
P8040042.jpg

Crank came out really well Also cleaned the pedals a bit
P8040050.jpg

Cleaned the frame a little
P8040045.jpg

P8040044.jpg

As she sits now
P8040043.jpg

I will jump on the wheels and fenders tomorrow, the chain was tedious enough for today.

Also does anyone know if this seat is original on this model or not? I would have thought it would have the spring seat with the big S on it but maybe those were earlier.

Got more done on it today, Took the tires off and found BOTH tubes are original and still hold air! I replaced them anyway.
P8040052.jpg

P8040062.jpg

Good before pic of the rim to show what I was working with
P8040054.jpg

Got it torn down, it was dirty
P8040055.jpg

After cleaning, re-packing, and re-assembly
P8040061.jpg

Rear hub torn apart and shell cleaned, I didn't have to re-paint the stripe it was that nice under the years of crud
P8040063.jpg

I tried to clean the rim hoops but they did not come out as nice as every other piece of chrome so I thought they'd look out of place, besides they didn't match anyway I remembered the set of Weinmann rims I had in the shed with the KHS tires on them....sure enough they are 36H and 26" tore them apart for the hoops, tires, and tubes.
P8050065.jpg

Spokes were a touch too long so I decided to do my very first twist-spoke lacing.
P8050064.jpg

Now that is Schwinn Approved
P8050066.jpg

Few pics of how it sits now
P8050067.jpg

P8050068.jpg

And had to throw the chain guard on it to see how it looks
P8050069.jpg

Just so you don't have to scroll up and down. Doesn't look like the same bike does it?
Before

P8020027.jpg

After

P8050068.jpg

Sorry I moved the pics to my "bikes folder" Didn't know that was going to affect anything. :oops: I fixed all the pics

Jimmy the Gent said:
Still working here;and that bike looks great!!

Thanks Jimmy, It hasn't been easy I'll tell you that but it sure looks nice when it's done and it gives me something to do when I get bored.

Man this bike is good luck, took it out for it's maiden voyage and found another Schwinn. A 1956 Schwinn American.

P8050086.jpg

Back