"GULF SWING" Fat tire Swingbike build! As done as it is gunna be!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Was "DragBike EXTREME" now "GULF STREAM FLYER"

LukeTheJoker said:
Diabolical_Dork said:
Excellent color scheme!
:D Been wanting to do a GULF bike for a while now, either that or a MARTINI sponsor set up... Might have to do another one down the road...

Luke.

Luke,

We must think alike, as I was thinking of doing a Martini bike next.

Michael

Re: "GULF SWING" Fat tire Swingbike build!

If you guys do that, then I'm doing a John Player Special (my favorite livery)

My favorite bike builder, bishop bikes, just finished a martini track bike. *drool*

Screenshot_2013-11-19-07-37-27_zps06ab27e8.jpg

Yes..... I'm thinking the BMW M division colors....

LukeTheJoker said:
Ooohhh! That is nice! Do I get the feeling there might be a racing sponsored build-off in the future somewhere? :?:

Luke.

Haha! I was googlin' team colors yesterday... Budweiser, Shell, Marlboro...Monster, Hot Wheels, Go Daddy... all have cool schemes.
I've been trying to find an older scheme, something retro, an early sponsor perhaps....still lookin'...

I'm in love with this:
bmwworldfinals_mexico_2008-47.jpg

If we end up doing that build, I know exactly what bike I'm gonna do it with. :D

LukeTheJoker said:
:lol: Right! I know what i am doing first thing tomorrow! :lol:

Luke.

:mrgreen:

Luke i like the build so far keep up the good work :D

Yeah. Sorry to hijack your thread, Luke. How's the bike going?

All good on the hi-jack, it has got me thinking. :mrgreen:
Nothing new to report on the bike, health has been rough lately, only had one decent day since the last progress report and used that to do some work on the wife's car. Safety first! Adjust rear brake shoes, adjust handbrake, replace front discs and pads, 4 new matching tires (had mismatched on since the big trip, we had some blow outs and wore a couple out.)
Don't go cheap when it is the safety of your loved ones we are talking about:

10977840645_b0c487b674_z.jpg

Hope to have something to report on the bike after tomorrow, all dependent on health though.

Luke.

Finally some progress!

Started off by cutting the outside ring away from the crankset, then moved on to bracing the rear of the frame, I was going to do something similar to the originals but it looked a bit undersize and weedy next to the big fat tire, so enter what remains of a 12" scooter I found at the dump a while back, already relieved it of it's top tube to make a seatpost for my bigboybmx:

10989593624_41f0b6092d_z.jpg

Choppy choppy and a mock up:

10989528306_0bd6c08ab4_z.jpg

Liking that! It will also provide the mounting points for the swing lock and springs.

Quick stop to cool off and get away from the flies and I will be back out there.

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
Finally some progress!

Started off by cutting the outside ring away from the crankset, then moved on to bracing the rear of the frame, I was going to do something similar to the originals but it looked a bit undersize and weedy next to the big fat tire, so enter what remains of a 12" scooter I found at the dump a while back, already relieved it of it's top tube to make a seatpost for my bigboybmx:

10989593624_41f0b6092d_z.jpg

Choppy choppy and a mock up:

10989528306_0bd6c08ab4_z.jpg

Liking that! It will also provide the mounting points for the swing lock and springs.

Quick stop to cool off and get away from the flies and I will be back out there.

Luke.

Man that looks great! That bend is sweet! Matches perfect imo. I know you want it painted but man that would be sweet all bare metal and black.

chepe13 said:
Man that looks great! That bend is sweet! Matches perfect imo. I know you want it painted but man that would be sweet all bare metal and black.
Thanks Chepe! I agree, it would look cool in bare metal, been thinking that too... Already bought all the Gulf stuff though! :lol:

So, after lunch headed out and figured I would check the chainline is clear of everything before I weld it all up, had an issue right at the dropout with one of the forklegs, so choppy choppy again:

10990629564_ecb27f7a07_z.jpg

Weldy, weldy:

10990626664_d2dcedc77f_z.jpg

Result:

10990624234_1692d471a0_z.jpg

Plenty of clearance now! So got on with welding up the brace and fitted a chain for what has to be my favorite mock-up yet! Love the way it looks now, the brace balances out that rear wheel nicely and matches the fork angle perfectly! It is starting to look like a bike at last!

10990460515_5547cf4365_z.jpg

10990557526_ec72cc55c5_z.jpg

Next item on the list, widen a Bratz banana seat into something that suits the bike:

10990665543_988f147cb8_z.jpg

10990658563_c7b8484345_z.jpg

The metal on them is so thin! I have some more welding to do, then I think I will weld in a bracing frame underneath, hoping to make it solid enough to the mount that I will not have to use a sissy bar on the rear.

Luke.

Back