GT460 Derailleur

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone very familiar with Schwinn Front Derailleurs that were used on early '70's Suburbans? I found a GT460 a few years back to use on my 1970 Suburban. It shifts properly at the height it's mounted but the chain constantly rubs on the cage roller when on the low range chainring. The only adjustment I did was with the mounting height and when I had it mounted lower it hung up when going to the high range chainring. Do I need a derailleur with a longer cage? This just doesn't seem right....

I did some adjusting and lowered it again and it's better. The chainrings have a bit of runout too and that's more the problem than the derailleur from what I've observed.

i also see a lot of old front derailleurs where the rear of the derailleur has sort of 'moved up' over the years and no longer matches the curve of the chainring. a big screwdriver wedged lengthwise front to back can be used to tweak the main pivot/cage back down...

or it can break in two... :mrgreen:

I was half wondering if it could be tweaked... It still shifted better with the chain rubbing on the cage roller. This is actually a new unused one I got a few years back so I don't know where the wear and tweaking come from... Thanks anyway.

Back