* GROUND ZERO * (Now I can have a cold one!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: * GROUND ZERO * (Bars! Lights!)

Wow, it's looking good!

Really innovative bars. I think you may have gorilla hangers! :lol:

I like the way you've blended the parts.

Looking forward to more.

Thanks again for the encouraging comments. It's getting closer every day.

:arrow: Today, I got the generator mounted, wired up to both lights, located a bulb for one missing, and made some other minor adjustments to the whole setup. They work!

zerolights3.jpg

:arrow: Wiring run down inside fork tube.

zerolights4.jpg

:arrow: Ever since I built the rack, I've been thinking it needed something more. Today I stained it with Minwax cherry all-in-one stain and polyurethane. After it dried, a little decal detailing...

zerorack7.jpg

:arrow: And of course a little detail on the seat tube-

groundzero4.jpg

Looking good from the back!

groundzero3.jpg

Looking good from the front!

groundzero6.jpg

:arrow: You might have noticed that I mounted up the other 24x3 tire... again not a good fit on these "wrong" rims, but I'm convinced now about the look. The dragster big-n-little tires were pretty cool... but the fat front tire gives it a heavy cruiser look, like a Harley Wide Glide or Heritage. I like those big meats!

groundzero5.jpg

More soon!

--Rob

to me this bike oozes late 60's early 70's chopper mc look with the double lights, long front end and the bars. i like it

I'm diggin the dual headlights! Bet it will look really cool at night with the lights on. Great progress! 8)

Just the kinda light I wanted :mrgreen: Looks COOL 8)

6/5/11: Some cool behind the scenes work today and some observations...

The folks at the bike shop my wheel builder works at reportedly started asking him all kinds of bike-snob questions about the wheels he's building me. That's not gonna go very fast, that's gonna be so heavy, are those STEEL rims? They weigh a ton! Yeah, there are $1200 wheel sets on the wall that weigh 8 oz... crazy if you ask me. New hardware is beautiful... fragile and very expensive.

After some recalc of the spoke lengths needed I should have wheels very soon. Remember it's a coaster-3-speed rear and a drumbrake front. I stopped in the shop today to show off the work so far... and what is right at the front entrance, first bike you see when you come in their shop? An Electra ladies, bright red with full chaincase and skirt guard... what's the wheel set? WW tires on a Nexus coaster-3 rear and a drumbrake front hub. Great minds thinking alike? Or giving the people what they really want?

So in the meantime I really really wanted to ride it, and did some extra work to make it happen. I dug up a nasty old large caliper from a Murray mountain bike, that just barely fit around the tire, and a long cable... made a mounting tab for it and hung it off the rack bolt. Found really thick pads to reach down to the rims... This is all temporary and coming off once the wheels are done...It works but poorly. If it was a fast bike, I would die. :shock:

groundzero7.jpg

It's the king of the coffee-shop bike rack!

Found this cool little "BIKER" plate and mounted it on the back of the rack.

Ran my front brake cable though it's not attached yet... From lever, drilled into the bars, down the bar and out the back side of the fork, into the fork tube and all the way out the bottom. Covered the exposed sections with purple cable cover... it's bright!

More soon- sorry about pics quality-
--Rob

Re: * GROUND ZERO * (I rode it!)

Totally Ratical! Love the overall chopper look; and kudos on the rear rack.

Re: * GROUND ZERO * (The tank!)

Thanks for the compliments guys! Progress slowed down a little bit as I wait on another new set of spokes... but I did get my tank back from my graphic artist friend.

She did a really nice job and even touched up all the little jagged edges of the orange/black line on the tank.

It looks even better in person. And wouldn't accept payment, I helped her husband out with some tools to take apart a Vespa engine so we called it even. :)

zerotank5.jpg

Got the tank reinstalled, lined back up and looking great. Still need some better details for the front retainers but it'll come with time.

groundzerotank8.jpg

Got the front brake cable made up and threaded through purple covering. It runs down the right handlebar, out and back into the fork tube to get around the triple-tree plate, and then out the bottom of the fork tube.

groundzerobrake1.jpg

--Rob

--Rob

A few more not-yet complete pics from today....

Had to straighten out a few technical issues so I could ride it, and a few of them will be solved when the Sturmey hub is installed, specifically chain-line problems, but overall it is comfortable to ride. It's actually a good fit for me!

groundzerotank6.jpg

groundzerotank9.jpg

groundzerotank10.jpg

groundzerotank19.jpg

groundzeroride07.jpg

groundzeroride6.jpg

Look, I'm a ghost!

groundzeroride7.jpg

All for now... more coming soon!

--Rob

Nice build love the bars and especially the double lights, not sure about the seat, it just looks out of place. Everything else is right on, Good job

Re: * GROUND ZERO * (New tank and ride pics!)

Very cool Rob...looks like a fun bike to cruise on.

Re: * GROUND ZERO * (New tank and ride pics!)

It's wonderful man, I don't even remember the frame you started with after reading this build. Was it a Norwood, Fleetwood a Deadwood?
I was thinking a couple things. You might try a BMX headset if you keep having problems there. They are a little bigger than the standard 1 inch cups.
For spokes I usually just bring the rim and hub to the bike shop and say give me some spoke to fit this. They measure it for free if you're buying the spokes.
Glad to see the bike's rolling now too.

Graylock said:
Nice bike Rob 8) Looks like you stole every idea I never used. :wink:

GL

Haha could be, you know I've learned something from every build on here. So many cool ideas... it sets the creative processes in motion, like nuclear fission. One thing leads to another. But if you have any other great ideas, let me know, I'll build them too!

2dawgs said:
That tank is great.

Thanks 2dawgs, I'm real happy with how it came out. She made the graphics exactly like my sketch, and the touchup work on the tank is razor sharp. I wish it didn't have the pinholes in it, but that adds character! :)

Rat Rod said:
Very cool Rob...looks like a fun bike to cruise on.

Thanks Steve! Couldn't have done it without you and all the cool members on this site cheering me on. 8)

slow rider said:
looks good. but I think it needs orange colored brake cabel not purple.

Thanks, it's something I'm trying out, and also we had it at work.... so recycled materials. To get orange sheathing I'd have to strip
fiber-optic cable!

karfer67 said:
to me this bike oozes late 60's early 70's chopper mc look with the double lights, long front end and the bars. i like it

Thanks Karfer, yeah the look kind of evolved with the parts I chose... the long forks with not much rake does make it kind of ride high but it's unique, the kids in the neighborhood love it and all come around to check it out when I'm playing with it. It will be a good rider when it's all done. I can't have it sitting around looking pretty, it's got to work for me too.

It is kind of striking to me how similar the final design will be to a stock Dyno Ultra Glide... my friend has one and I love riding it. This came out pretty similar except it's vintage components instead of mostly aluminum Shimano stuff.

Thanks for the comments everyone, it's awesome to see everyone enjoying the buildoff as much as me. I've been watching a dozen or so build threads closely and another 20-30 on and off... amazing work everywhere! Glad to be a part of it.

--Rob

Back