Greetings from VaBeach

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I end up fixing up at least one bike a year due to them getting stolen all the time (downside of living at the beach) but I've never thought about customizing them. Love old stuff and punk rock so think I'll rat rod out a couple this year for the up coming beach season. There's actually a guy selling 3 candidates on CList (older schwinn girls, 60s roadmaster tank bike, and Evans Viscount 2000) about 60 miles away so might have to grab them up.

Kim-dude...va beach?
Im in Norfolk.
Call me 613-0111 so we can do a ride on the boardwalk or atlantic ave.
Thinking of calling a few others in the area to see if the want to a ride in Driver va at their spring festival.
Not many of us vintage bike collectors here in Tidewater.
Heres my email [email protected]
JD

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Welcome to the forum. I grew up in Virginia Beach. Went to Green Run High School. I remember what you say about bikes being stolen out there. I had plenty of them stolen. Hey, Is Mona Lisa pizza out there still any good? I haven't lived out there since October 1997

Don't know about Mona Lisa Pizza. I live at the oceanfront so I'm more of a Chicho's guy. I'm always up for a ride on the boardwalk...and beers. Bike theft is so bad down here that my brother gave me a bike rack for my back yard to lock the bikes up to. We had 4 bikes disappear last year, and my yard even has a privacy fence.

I don't currently have any vintage bikes but my current daily rider is a GT Kustom Kruiser.

Oh, and JD I usually organize a couple bike crawls during the summer where we cruise the strip bar hopping as a giant peleton.

RatSphinx said:
Support your local Navy Seals.

THIS! :!:

HA! This reminded my that I found a beach cruiser in my yard (lived in Chick's beach area) and rode it for about 6 months until it disappeared!

I spent 10 years of my life in the Virginia beach area (Littlecreek amphibase and Damneck training center). Some of the best years of my life.

Welcome to the site, Rg

I grew up in Princess Anne Plaza. Sure it might look like a quiet neighborhood but... I miss the oceanfront. Might make a trip out there the first weekend in August.

kim_dude said:
Don't know about Mona Lisa Pizza. I live at the oceanfront so I'm more of a Chicho's guy. I'm always up for a ride on the boardwalk...and beers. Bike theft is so bad down here that my brother gave me a bike rack for my back yard to lock the bikes up to. We had 4 bikes disappear last year, and my yard even has a privacy fence.

I don't currently have any vintage bikes but my current daily rider is a GT Kustom Kruiser.

Oh, and JD I usually organize a couple bike crawls during the summer where we cruise the strip bar hopping as a giant peleton.

RatSphinx said:
Support your local Navy Seals.

THIS! :!:

I'm up for a ride for sure. Even a few beers. The wife and I try to make it to the strip on Fridays thru Sunday and usually pick a night with some good free concerts at the 31st, 24th, 17th and 7th street stages. Love the RocknRoll bands!!
Here is the Virginia Beach "BeachStreetUSA" website for the locations and Calendar.
http://www.beachstreetusa.com/locations

We usually park up by the Cavalier Beach Club on the upper end and cruise the entire strip to end and then back up Atantic Ave to get a few fingerpointers from the admirers of old bikes.
But we usually hit all the stages to grab some boogie time. The wife fills her huge coffee cup with a potent white russian mixed drink and she is set for the ride. Once her cup is emptied then we usually head home. This year I'll be cruising on the put back together 49 Phantom but, she refuses to give up her 65 AstroFlite tanklight bike for a ballooner. She'll come around eventualy. Just those ballooners are heavy tanks.

Contact me at [email protected]...I'm near the Norfolk Airport. There are a couple of vintage bike Cabe members that are local here, haven't met any RRB local members yet...I don't think :oops:

I haven't experienced the bike theft thing yet and hope I don't.

Dan, the only Mona Lisa Pizza I know of that is still here is in Oceanview. The pizza is good there. Used to go there with my girls softball team I used to coach.

Kim, welcome! The only thing I didn't like about Chicho's pizza was the number of nights I grabbed a slice at the window and don't remember even eating it but waking up with their awesome sauce all over the front of my Tshirt! :mrgreen: Man, I have only great memories of my younger days at 'cho's - especially Sunday afternoons, but that was back in the day when it was legal to get in at 18! I was still in high school but remember it like yesterday - riding our bikes home from a Sunday afternoon at chichos and then having to get up for school the next day! Now I spend my time trying to convince my kids to stay away from The Block!

Dudes, I'm more inland now, and it's easier and more convenient for me to ride my bike to VB Town Center for suds and eats, as I refuse to drink and drive. But if you guys set it up I'd be glad to meet for a boardwalk cruise some evening. Just don't hold it against me for driving there with my bike on a rack instead of riding there! I sweat like Mike Tyson in a spelling bee and would be soaked by the time I met you guys!

Dan, I'm pretty sure Mona Lisa's is still very much open - off S. Lynnhaven near Silina. I'd hate to think they too fall victims to the bad economy.

JD - it's starting to look like more and more from our area are coming out and admitting our bike illness! It's an epidemic!

Ragged Jim - a sincere thanks for your service to our nation. I don't need to tell you how much the Navy means to our area. I took full advantage of my dad's blue sticker on his car to get thru the gate at DamNeck and paddle out with a few friends in areas completely off limits to everyone else! Man, we really ticked off a couple of guys out there one day and I had to beg with every bit of emotion I had to not have those guys scrape the base sticker off my dad's car after they caught us when we paddled back in! Good times!

So, again, welcome Kim! Let's get a Tidewater contingent of RRB guys together and do some rubber necking while riding the boardwalk when it warms up! I'm in! Sorry for the novel!

Pudge....no worries. I load my bike into the bike rack that's set up in my truckbed. No way I'm riding to the oceanfront from my Norfolk abode. I too don't drive after much drinking. And if I do I think then the ride back to the truck wears the alcohol off a bit.
Besides what VB cop would give a guy that has cool looking vintage bikes in the truckbed a ticket :roll: :eek: :lol:

Oh, and the better half says 32 blocks one way (64 blocks roundtrip) is a bit on her legs. Lately, we try to park half way like the Pavilon at 19th street. But, if we park there we will go get some pit beef sandwiches at Bully on the Beach ....then we decide either to go north or south on the Bwalk or the strip (depending on which way the wind is blowing)...it all depends on which band is playing and or what crab dip we need if we dont get pit beef.
There are some great bands that play at these venues.....and you can't beat a free concert.

jd56 said:
... Besides, what VB cop would give a guy that has cool looking vintage bikes in the truckbed a ticket :roll: :eek: :lol:
All of them! Even the retired ones; the ones with one foot in their graves; their brothers, and even their red-headed step children! Every last one of them would! Including their unborn offspring! They would too! :lol:

Pudge said:
Ragged Jim - a sincere thanks for your service to our nation. I don't need to tell you how much the Navy means to our area. I took full advantage of my dad's blue sticker on his car to get thru the gate at DamNeck and paddle out with a few friends in areas completely off limits to everyone else! Man, we really ticked off a couple of guys out there one day and I had to beg with every bit of emotion I had to not have those guys scrape the base sticker off my dad's car after they caught us when we paddled back in! Good times!

It may have been me, I worked base police and investigations when I was stationed there! Your welcome, I was just a kid back then...

Pudge said:
Dan, I'm pretty sure Mona Lisa's is still very much open - off S. Lynnhaven near Silina. I'd hate to think they too fall victims to the bad economy.

That's my old neighborhood. I would eat there at least once a week. The owner , as far as I know, is Joe Polozzi. He was always a good dude.

I'm up for getting a ride together, at the beach or where ever. I'd like to meet my fellow rat riders. I know JD, I've been over his house a few times. Even bought a couple bikes from JD.
Kenny

Kenny and all you other va beachers....the weather is going to warm up soon. Tolerable for a ride at the strip. Give me a call and we'll arrange a meet.
757-751-0111
John

Hey guys, I'm working with Chicho's on 29th St at the beach on doing some sort of bike show. How many board members live in the area that would be interested? I'm reaching out to Altered Suspension also (Norfolk lowrider club).

Latest posts

Back