Greetings from Raleigh NC

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, although I have been a fan of this site for a while, I just registered and this is my first log in. I've been into biking since I can remember, and I can't remember a time in my life that I didn't have a bike or two. I got into cruisers by accident. I was trying to get my wife to ride, so I got her a nice Schwinn hybrid which she absolutely hated. She had trouble shifting and was very nervous so we rode very little. "I just want a beach bike with no gears" was her response. So I found an older Schwinn cruiser and fixed it up. I had so much fun I bought one for me. As soon as I figure out how to post pictures I'll have some up. I'm currently working on a 67 Stingray for a friend. It's a little girls bike that we found for $10. Very rough looking! I stripped it down, sandblasted the whole thing and powder coated it neon pink! I'll have pictures of that one soon too, she's almost complete.

DB6631F7-7597-485B-9CF8-275283C81194-956-000001B092FA3932.jpg

This is my Scwhinn Del Mar. Everything that's red exept for the chain and decals are powdercoated. The handle bars are also powder coated and I made them from electrical tubing. There are a few more nuts and bolts I have to powdercoat, but I'm about done. The pedals were a set my son gave me and they too were disassembled and powdercoated. I added spikes to the fenders which are a bit tricky when taking turns. If my feet are too far up the pedal, my shoe will scrape them. I was thinking of adding a springer fork to push the spikes away a bit. They are what everyone talks about first when they see my bike. Was thinking about doing the kickstand in red but I'm not sure how the powder coat would hold up to moving the kick up and down. I would like to take the wheels apart so I can do the spokes in red next, but spring is coming and I have to ride!

Hope ya'll enjoy it!

Roly...

photo14_zps983a9a8d.jpg

Here's a shot of our bikes during a ride in our neighborhood.

Trying to get the pictures to fit, but can't figure it out just yet.

Thank you Mitch! Hey what kind of axe you got there? I have a few of my own.

this one is an Epiphone Wilshire Pro with Gibson 496 and 498 pickups. Also have a Gibson LP. What you got? :mrgreen:

I have an Epiphone LP with classic57's in it, a Squire Tele with fender hot rod pick ups, a Samick "strat like" with stock pick ups, An Ibanez EX9 that has a hum sing hum set up, that one has a Seymore Dunkins, 59 jazz in the neck, a hot rails in the middle and a Jeff beck at the bridge. It has great tone and a fast fretboard. I also have a Gibson Blueshawk semi-hollowbody with soapbar p90's that are split, and a maestro vibrato arm. That one can go from super clean to gritty with a flip of a switch! Awesome guitar. Then to round things out an 82 Takamine acoustic to just hang out with. I just mess around with them now, don't play as often as I'd like but they're nice to have in case some friends stop by.

I have a Telefunken U-47 with leather and a salsa cocktail from Germany that I like to play in the morning while eating my powdered donut pancake surprise. :lol:

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day Redd! Make the most of it.

Seriously though, great bike! My first bike to be customized in my shop Dead City Choppers was a Del Mar, second was a Huffy Cranbrook (same bike actually). I liked that those bikes were so lightweight! But then I got into the vintage stuff... anyway, welcome! :mrgreen:

Well, it seems that's the natural flow of things. I have a few older bikes I'm getting ready to start now. This truly is an addiction. The great thing is with this type of addiction, the cops won't bust down your door for having a "bike lab" in your garage!

Latest posts

Back