Great Allegheny Passage

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if any of you are into the rail trails like I am.

This summer I plan on taking about 4 days to ride from Pittsburgh to Cumberland. I know I could probably ride the 130 something miles in one day, but that would make it into a job and really defeat the purpose. I want to make many stops and see all that there is to see.

I have a few weeks off of work in June- July, so I can really look forwards to this. Everything's almost planned out!

Maybe some other time I can ride out to D.C. & back!

GreatWhite00 said:
Not sure if any of you are into the rail trails like I am.

This summer I plan on taking about 4 days to ride from Pittsburgh to Cumberland. I know I could probably ride the 130 something miles in one day, but that would make it into a job and really defeat the purpose. I want to make many stops and see all that there is to see.

I have a few weeks off of work in June- July, so I can really look forwards to this. Everything's almost planned out!

Maybe some other time I can ride out to D.C. & back!
We're big fans of rails-to-trails. Check out our website.

We've yet to ride any in your neck of the woods though and there's a lot of them out there.

I'll be watching for your ride report.

Interesting links above. I am ready to do this and if this is the only "vacation" I have all year that will be ok with me.

The only thing I am unsure of is longt erm (4 day) parking. I don't want to leave my car unattended for that long. I wanted to park up near the Pittsburgh side, but with my luck I would get towed or vandalized.

I was also thinking I would want some type of bike shorts to wear since I'm going so far. I don't know the first thing about bike shorts.

GreatWhite00 said:
Interesting links above. I am ready to do this and if this is the only "vacation" I have all year that will be ok with me.

The only thing I am unsure of is longt erm (4 day) parking. I don't want to leave my car unattended for that long. I wanted to park up near the Pittsburgh side, but with my luck I would get towed or vandalized.

I was also thinking I would want some type of bike shorts to wear since I'm going so far. I don't know the first thing about bike shorts.

I'll be riding on the Elroy-Sparta trail this summer. The EST is the original Rail Trail and was built in the mid 60's Has three tunnels, the longest being 3/4 of a mile.

BelknapG said:
I'll be riding on the Elroy-Sparta trail this summer. The EST is the original Rail Trail and was built in the mid 60's Has three tunnels, the longest being 3/4 of a mile.

Those tunnels are cool especially if you have a good set of lights. The Taft tunnel on my link above is 1.7 miles long.

GreatWhite00 said:

Is there a State Park that you could park at? An entrance fee may keep thieves away.

I bought some mountain bike shorts at REI that worked well without looking too sporty. Read up on Chamois Butter too. :wink:

I read up on the Wisconsin trail. Looks cool.

I guess I'll get dropped off and picked up. It's about a 90 minute drive from here. Well worth the piece of mind. I know my car would get hassled esp. with the out of state plates.

One thing I worry about on our trips is leaving the vehicle. A lot of times it's full of luggage, laptop etc... Fortunately haven't had any problems yet.

Definitely recommend cycling shorts. I wear the MTB shorts. Or you can get the padded underwear to wear under the shorts/pants of your choice. I'd also recommend breathable shirts of some kind. Makes a big difference in keeping cool and dry.

Will you be camping or staying at hotels?

@BelknapG we've ridden the Gandy Dancer in Wisconsin. May have to go back to ride the Elroy-Sparta. Looks like a nice trail.

I will be camping along the way.

Where is the best place to get shorts or padded underwear? A breathable shirt will work a lot better than a cotton t shirt, especially in the middle of the summer.

I will probably get dropped off and picked up. It wouldn't be worth it to worry about a car the whole time.

Most bike shops should have some MTB shorts. I picked my MTB shorts and padded underwear at REI for reasonable cost.

Back