gooseneck

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
two of my bikes have the bolts broken on the stem an i can't get the stem out. its pretty rusted in. can i take another stem bolt an put it in heat things up an wack it with a hammer or do i have to cut the stem an unbolt the forks an still save the forks. ya all know what i'am saying right? help

Outlaw :?: :(

I've tried that method and occassionally it works. I have had better luck soaking it in PB Blaster. I squirt it in from the top and let it soak a couple days and then turn it over and do the same from the bottom through the fender mounting hole. If you do cut the stem to remove the forks it is still a tough job to get that stem piece out of the fork tube. Good luck.

you mean you snaped the stem bolt off when you tried to loosen it? wow well i have been known to put the fork in a vise (soft jaws and have a buddy hold up the frame) make sure you clamp it as close to the crown as possible. then stick whatever you can find that will give you some leverage and have at it. heat wont do a lot because it is rusted in the steer and the heat just wont do much.

the bolts were already snaped when i got both bikes. yes heat works, that an alot of pb, sat overnite an put the heat to it an they came out. was not easy but i got the job done.

Outlaw :mrgreen:

Back