good clear

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rodland said:
gashuffy63 said:
texasbigjon said:
my personal favorite is krylon gloss clear. i like to apply it before the last color coat has a chance to dry,using moderately heavy even passes. ive never had good luck with matte clears,as they tend to make the finish look slightly frosted! :(

I use Krylon on all of my frames, made the mistake of grabbing Matte finish when I was in a hurry and screwed up a frame when I sprayed it on.

Krylon gloss...

sophomoreyear079.jpg

OK, you got to tell us how you did what is UNDER the clear.
yes please tell

If the finish "flattens" after the final clear coat, after a couple of hours, try some slow passes with a hot air gun. Usually works a treat. Don't get it too hot though.

I'll post some pics later today. I have been painting a frame and wanted to get it done, as we have lots of rain forecast over the next week or so, well everything was going fine with a couple of coats of primer and 4 top coats.........then after I applied the clear coat, it went very dull and "frosty" looking (too much humidity I'm guessing). After a couple of hours, I used a heat gun and it came up a treat. I'd suggest some practice on an old frame first though.

The whole deal was , Not to setup a spray booth with very expensive paints ,to get a professional job. I sprayed a clear over a copper paint once before and it made it really darker. It didn't even look like the same paint. So from experience I know some clears will darken the color. I saw some advertised once and it was about $30 a can and was supposed to be automotive quality clear in a can. Don't know what kind it was though.

Latest posts

Back