gonna call it destiny(new paint 4.30)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll say it again, I LOVE this bike!.....What I like best about your builds is, you just keep going and going. Just when we think your done, you do something else amazing..........Back to the technical stuff: Does the front cog (brake) roll backwards, when you roll the bike backwards?.....I'm drawing some plans for an "anything" goes build, that you pushed so hard for ( glad you did) and was planning on a similar brake system. ROLLING the bike backwards was one of my concerns.

thx kota, naynay, i really appreciate the kind words.
kota its funny you used the words "it just keeps going and going"
i have this stupid little back button on the left side of my keyboard(right where i rest my palm) i hit it all the time (not meaning to) my last post had to be re-writen cause i hit the back button.

the first time i typed it out i started the post with" this builds like the energizer bunny, it just keeps going and going. :)
rrb is such a wicked site with so many talented folks, it just keeps fueling my little brain with idea's. :)

tech stuff- the bike rolls backwards just fine. cog stays inplace as if it where a freewheel hub.
also, if i apply the brake too hard (lock up the coaster), long before ya go head over heals, the lever wants to pull free from your hand. you just dont have the weigh of your body to hold it back. i figure this is a good thing. a much longer lever might want to send ya for a ride. just something to think about.

i decided to pull the shift knob i carved for my other build i'm working on. its really taken a back seat to this project, so i'll carve another for it.
i hit the piece with flat black, then filed some of it off. the end result is quite nice.
IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

and about that back button on my keyboard, i used a pair of plyers to extract it! :) :) :)

Man you did a great job carving that skull!! Looks good, and the bike is getting cooler and cooler everytime I check out your progress! :D

thx bud, i gotta tell ya, your bikes have been so insparational its not funny. your retro racer is a rolling piece of art work.

gaboon ebony is such a treat to work with (bag pipe wood) its very hard but carves real easy with carbide burs (dremel-the ones with cutting edges) i haven't sanded that skull, it was carved with round burs, end of story. the wood has its own natural oil. if i took the time to polish it, ya get a black lacquer type finish. you'd have a hard time telling it was wood. with a month or 2 of regular use, it will actually polish up on its own.

just took the bike around the block and dam near killed myself. (note to self, make sure you have the coster bracket inplace)
i forgot to put it back on, so when the brakes where applied, it rotated till it locked the wheel tight. i wasn't going very fast so it just scared the crap outta me.
put the bracket back on and it works like a champ!
soooo heres the finished build.

since the bike wasn't the quick build i expected it to be and the matched forks and rim i found in my basement (which spawned the destiny name) ended up not being used, i'm changing the name to lucky 13.

13 has been my lucky number since the age of 5. my babysitter rifled through my mothers jewerly box.(a very good friend of my parents-at a very tough time in his life-no excuses)
he hid all his loot in the neighbours yard under a rose bush. looking back i think it was all part of his plan to look innocent (check my pockets kinda deal)

well one of the chains with a #13 charm got snagged on the roses. i found it the next day when i lauched my soccer ball into the yard (and the rest of the jewelery.)my mom gave me the charm/chain and its been my number ever since.
this also turns out to be my 13th bike. :)
i was very lucky it showed up at my door, cause i love her dearly!

enter lucky 13!
IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

dude, its amazing to see the evolution of this bike.

its in my top 10 favorite bikes, ever.

just please dont enter it into RRBO4! :D

blink said:
dude, its amazing to see the evolution of this bike.

its in my top 10 favorite bikes, ever.

just please dont enter it into RRBO4! :D

your makin me blush. :) thx for the kind words.
it wont be an entry. i started this before the build off and that would be cheating. :)
i do have a couple bikes in the back though, just gotta figure out which one i'm gonna use for the build off.
btw, when does it end? i gotta get started.lol

Awesome man.That brake lever is the snakes hips.Nicely done. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

thx guys.

i'm really diggin the coaster front brake also. i imagen you'll be seeing more of them pop up on my builds.

well i just can't seem to help myself, guess i just don't want this build to end.
i realize theres a point where there becomes too much of a good thing. all of a sudden your rolling around on pee wee's x1 (which is cool in its own right)
i figure i'm moving dangerously close to that threshold, so i'm gonna stop with these additions.
first a brass name plate- i just used peel and stick letters to mask it off and hit it with bbq paint.
IMG_0171.jpg

while i was digging through the tool box for an exacto, i came across this old brass hindge.
IMG_0161.jpg

it gave me a novel idea.
IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

that is great. simple bike, simple modes, lots of attention to detail. 8)

Hey how hare you. juste want to say, i have try your idea for the front break but i have bluge it with a cable add-it to the chain and connect it to a break leaver and it work. Yeah it slow you down but it bether ten fall over your bicycle. Soon i have a camera, i will guive you news.

again tank's for your idea.

Back