Golden Rod: Finished Pics.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Just posted my intro and thought I would add to the gallery.

This is I believe an old Huffman frame. It was given to me by a retired co-worker. He is into doing full restorations on old bikes and had this frame laying around. It was rusty and had a big dent on the top tube so he didn't want it any longer.
I gathered parts from other places most of them were free or cheap. The fork was given to me in pieces with parts missing. The seat was rotted and rusty. The rims I got from a girls bike. You guys know the drill.
Well I cleaned up, primered, painted, got new tires and put everything together and rode it around last summer like this:

huffman004.jpg

I put 26 x 2.125 tires on both the front and the rear but this frame is very wide in the back so the rear tire looked pretty skinny in there. I didn't know that they made a 26 x 3 until I found one at the LBS. I bought it not knowing if it would fit or not. It was like the frame was made for a tire that size, it fit perfect!

After riding it for a while in primer, I decided i wanted a more "refined Rat". So this Winter I took every thing apart to paint it. I ended up spending way more time than I planned with it. I filed and bondoed the dented top tube and also used bondo to fillet all the welds.
I made up a tank insert for the frame and had a kickstand plate welded onto the bottom bracket. The fork had some of the original parts missing so I made some new spacers for that. Finally I painted and recovered the seat.

So after many hours it turned out like this so far:

apr09064.jpg

apr09066.jpg

apr09068.jpg

I was going for a Custom Hot Rod/Muscle Bike/Boardtracker look, let me know what you guys think....

The bike is completed now but I haven't found the time to take any finished shots of it yet. When I do I will post them up here.

Later on,
Grego

Re: Golden Rod

Your attention to detail and style are really top notch.

As Clancy mentioned before, that tank is one of the coolest around.

Looking forward to seeing the finished bike.

grego47 said:
The bike is completed now but I haven't found the time to take any finished shots of it yet. When I do I will post them up here.
Grego

Please do! Looks VERY nice - would love to see it all together!

thats a really great looking bike and definitely the best tank filler plate ive ever seen! 8) those late 40`s,early 50`s huffman frames will take a 24x3 tire,and still leave you with 1/4" inch of play on both sides! ive got one tucked away for this years buildoff :D maybe....

What are the forks? I was thinking of putting a triple tree on the bike I'm working on, but I really like the look of those.

who needs wheels when it looks that good? very nice work i dig the detail parts on the fork

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate all the positive comments.
I want to try and find a cool background for the shots of the finished bike.
Maybe by next week. I promise not to leave you guys waiting too long.

Later on

I regularly come across some really beautiful bikes here, and sometimes you find this type of work that gets into the category of ART. You can put this baby in a gallery and it would dazzle.
Anxious to see it completed.

Very Nice

Machine turned Gold leaf guilding would realy make it POP ... not to much ...
with solid Disc wheels it would look rite out of Bonnivile Salt Flats ...
A really nice bike ... didn't relize I liked Gold color so much ... real mechanical color.
Coodos / Great Job

Stephen/ Wingman

Back