Gnarly Tall Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I haven't built a bike in a while so I've decided to build a new tall bike. The frame will mostly be 1x1 square tubing and I'll use some parts I have left over from some a my motorcycle projects. 8)

P1000851.jpg

I got the front end somewhat together but I still need to dish the wheel a bit, this thing is gonna be crazy heavy so I might need some gears :wink:

P1000855.jpg

I was going to weld it but the more I think about it, the more I want to braze it, I just might have to break out the torches :D

I started the frame (the long piece is the seat tube), I still need to figure the headtube because it will either have to be round tubing or a bigger picec of square tubing with the races welded into it.

P1000856.jpg

I got some of the frame welded and I made a headtube that will work with the motorcycle headset. :D
P1000857.jpg

It's turning out little taller than I though it would be, but it is a tallbike :wink:
P1000858.jpg

It's supposed to get really cold here this week and I do all my welding outside so I tried to get as much done today as I could before the cold front comes in. I finally got the bottom bracket nice and straight and the 2nd down tube on, I also started making some gussets for the bottom bracket out of 1/8" plate.

P1000864.jpg

P1000866.jpg

I've been really busy with school lately but I've been working on the tall bike when ever I get some freetime (not very often :roll: ).

P1000882.jpg

P1000883.jpg

nice! i had the same set of wheels n fork as you! but i threw it away, due to lack of resources. :roll: are you gonna extend the fork legs up to the top tree? cuz i say if/when you do, really cook the metal. it take some serious heat to penetrate those legs. and grind the ends too, that polished surface makes it hard to stick too.

I'm going to extend the fork sanctions but I was going to find a piece of tubing that fit over them and make a clamp, like a seatpost in a seattube clamp type of thing so that I could still use the fork on something else if I wanted to. :D

I cut some beefy dropouts out of 1/4" plate, this thing is probably going to be close to 200lbs, maybe more :shock: .

P1000926.jpg

I got a new TIG welder as an early xmas present so I've been messing around with that for the last few days. I finally got confident enough in my welds to use them on something I'm going to to ride so I welded the swingarm together, TIG welding is 100 times better than that dirty flux core I'm used to using. 8)

P1010189.jpg

Back