Glow in the dark

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently noticed bike that glow in the dark and after checking out the Internet is found that there is this paint you can get and was wondering is anyone on the forum has used it?????

Just curious how people have like or disliked it i wanna know is it worth looking into or is it just one of the novelty things and curiosity where you can get it from and which one is the best

Here's a pic of what I am talking about
glo29er_17_zpsa53bd383.jpg

Unless it is constantly lit with a black light in total darkenss the effect will be minimal, and will dim quite fast, most photos of glow in the dark items are photographed under a black light. In the real world like in the city which is well lit, the effect would be far from dramatic. Unless you are in the pitch black country at night, and you have charged the glow paint with a black light or a camera flash the effect will not be great. You can get also glow in the dark powdercoating if you really must have it.

I think what would be cool on a bike is that paint that used to be on matchbox cars back in the 90's that when you pour hot or cold water on it it changes color. Anybody remember those?

I had a jeep that was I believe white in warm water, pink in cold. I think there was one that was yellow to brown as well. What would be even better is to have a coating like the 80's G.I. Joe figure, Zartan. He changed color in the sun.

Dorian said:
Unless it is constantly lit with a black light in total darkenss the effect will be minimal, and will dim quite fast, most photos of glow in the dark items are photographed under a black light. In the real world like in the city which is well lit, the effect would be far from dramatic. Unless you are in the pitch black country at night, and you have charged the glow paint with a black light or a camera flash the effect will not be great. You can get also glow in the dark powdercoating if you really must have it.

Thanks Dorian I assume that the sunlight won't charge it as well as the blacklist in a dark room will....
Seems like it's more of a novelty...

Von Stans said:
Dorian said:

Thanks Dorian I assume that the sunlight won't charge it as well as the blacklist in a dark room will....
Seems like it's more of a novelty...

The problem is that "glow in the dark" needs to be done in total darkness to have any decent effect at all, and still its effect is short lived. How often do we encounter total darkness in our lives? Sunlight will charge it, but you have to quickly take it into a pitch black room to see it. The trouble is your eyes will be used to the sunlight too, and when you go into a black room after being in the sun it is hard to see anything till your eyes are used to the darkness, by that time the good glow is gone. As soon as the glow object is removed from a light source it quickly fades to a very very dull glow that you cant see well. It is kind of a novelty that can only be used under very limited conditions. The stuff looks bright in photos but its because its being lit by a blacklight. Impractical for outdoors and riding around.

Latest posts

Back