Getting started

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings all, I am just starting my adventures into bicycle modification. The project that has me diving into this world is that I want to make myself a board track inspired motorized bike. A while back I ended up finding a Schwinn Typhoon for $30 that is actually in really nice shape, complete with fenders, original tires, and the kickback rear hub. Nothing is stuck and there is almost no rust. The only thing missing is the head badge. It is in such nice shape that I am having second thoughts about tearing into it to modify, however the frame being in such nice shape it should perform well in the intended capacity. Any thoughts on this? Am I a monster for considering transforming it into a board track bike?

Behind the Typhoon you can see my daily Rider that I have been bombing around on for the last 15 years.

I think that it might be, I haven't taken a tape measure to it yet. With the modifications intended (different fork, strengthen and slightly lengthen the rear), the frame itself should work as I would be using different wheels as well.

Nice bike u got a good deal. Size question will limit your wheel and tire size and choices with out extra modification.
You can hang 26" on it up front prolly, but maybe still be a tight cockpit...
Id be stoked to find a copper typhoon for $30...
Stripped fenders looks like a rider to me :)

All these old bikes were made for kids. A similar 26" Schwinn would of mainly been ridden by 11-13 year olds. Your 24" inch could be ridden by 9-12 year old. Before you put too much time or money into this bike, try riding it a few times and clocking in some miles. A board track with flipped bars and lowered seat may amplify any "bike fit" problems you encounter.

I will have to do a bit of light restoration work before it can be ridden. The tires are shot. I will tinker around a bit and will not do any permanent modifications until I am comfortable with it (I am 5' 11", so it may very well be an issue). If comfort and fit do become an issue, then I will simply put the original parts back on and find it a new home.

Coppertone! My favorite Schwinn color. The paint and chrome on those were very good quality, it'll shine up and look great, even the fenders.

24 x 1 3/4 tires are the downside with those wheels. Not much selection for new tires. Write down the size off the sidewall just to be on the safe side.
https://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/sunlite-street-s-7-tire-24-x-1-3-4-black-black

I'm 5'9" and still need to raise the seat very high on a 26" old Schwinn, they had a standard 18" frame size.

Motorized, it will still look great. So, it you don't have to pedal, the small frame isn't that much of an issue.

I would keep it original, it's a 63-68 model, when they offered coppertone, and get a bigger cruiser for a motorized bike, one with suspension.

I think Mr. Phikset has left the building!....It's been one year since his last post.

Latest posts

Back