Get Klunk

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Nothing amazing going on here but I do plan to hit the trails with this thing! Thanks to ind-chuckz for the frame (soon to be another).

ve3e9e8a.jpg

4uja4e4a.jpg

Freebie tires and tubes thanks to the LBS! These will wrap some aluminum Electra rims.
jy9uze5e.jpg

On a sad note I jacked up this ring trying to break it free from the crank :( No bueno!
2ujy8apa.jpg

I remember that frame. The original paint sure is nice on it. Are you going to leave the paint original or plan to customize it?

I remember that frame. The original paint sure is nice on it. Are you going to leave the paint original or plan to customize it?
It'd better be nice; that's a 2013 frame! :113: Looks good, TGB! You can get another sprocket cheap.... consider something smaller for trail-ridin'....

Also, I didn't realize the fork was more of a blade style than tube. What you guys think about that fork on trails?

Have you ever seen the "klunking" videos put out by the Transition Bikes ppl? The early ones were made before they offered their "Klunker" model, and they were riding industrial frames, like Schwinn Heavy Dutis and Worksman Industrial News Boys. They also were running some older Chicago Schwinn Canti frames. One of the riders from the videos is a fella named Thad, who is a RRB member, and posted some behind-the-scenes tech info about the videos. Original thread here:

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-klunker-in-town.64255/

That's fun reading if you have time, but in a nutshell, they found that the middleweight canti frames bent and sagged in the BB area; bb shell ground clearance went from 13.5" to 11" on Thad's personal bike. They also found that, while the Woksman and SHD frames were up to the task of hard offroad riding, the forks tended to fold/bend.

Your Deliveri is the SHD frame, but it's red and originally came with a basket. You can upgrade to slightly ore modern 1.125" mountain bike forks... The new ones often come with tapered steerers and that won't work, but the majority of mountain forks are 1.125" threadless. Rigid or suspension, whatever, they'll be built for trails, and won't look out of place on a 2013 Schwinn, in my opinion. Got a SHD on-order from ind-chuckz now; I already got this fork:
FK0005.jpg

This headset:

And this stem:
1_copy269_blowup.jpg

Should hold up pretty good....

Almost the same fork... yours was a 1x1 with the 453mm atc length. Yours was taller and lighter, weighing in at 2.8lbs, uncut. I've got the Instigator fork, slightly shorter at 447mm atc, with thicker-walled tubing, putting it at 3.1lbs uncut.

By the time you'd listed your fork, I'd already struck a deal at the lbs for the Instigator, plus I think your steerer tube might've been cut a little short for my application....and, if that's the case, too short for yours, too, probably.

I got a 413atc 1x1 canti-only fork, a 26" longhaul tucker fork, and now this Instigator fork. The Surly forks are piling up in the ol' parts box.

Yeah the Surly I sold was on a MTB and the tube was shorter. I'm leaving the headset as is but I'll clean and regrease everything. I'm going with a OPC for now until I make my mind up on cranks. I wanted this to be a bike with high end parts but I already have a Marin that has all I need for trail riding.

Now I'm debating on what bars to use. I want/like the chrome swoop back but I'm worried about trees and control in general. The black bars will put me hunched over a lot more and that's bad for my back.

a7eha5e9.jpg

Now I'm debating on what bars to use. I want/like the chrome swoop back but I'm worried about trees and control in general. The black bars will put me hunched over a lot more and that's bad for my back.

a7eha5e9.jpg

Third option, maybe cut a couple of inches off the chrome ones and use those, if you want to use the black ones, i'd suggest a shorter but taller neck to alleviate any hunched-over-ness.

Edited: just noticed you're going to use threadless neck, I'd say the chrome ones still.

Latest posts

Back