Genesis Onyx 29" Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thad said:
I just built up a 29" klunker!
251420_10151341237773692_993952333_n.jpg

I like what you've done thad. You bike looks a lot better than a stocker.

I had a couple questions, maybe some of you have already crossed these bridges. Is it a 1" threaded steerer 1 1/8" threaded steerer? I ask because I put a 1" threaded quill stem on and it seemed to not fit nice and snug, stuffed a plastic/rubber cap to get it fitting nice, but a bit nervous if it's all out of whack(haven't ridden it in the dirt yet). Rear cog, I was considering changing it out, anybody have an idea what would work? I have a set of bmx cranks with a 25T chainwheel, would like to use it if possible, but I can see myself having to get a bigger chainwheel.

captainspaulding said:
I had a couple questions, maybe some of you have already crossed these bridges. Is it a 1" threaded steerer 1 1/8" threaded steerer? I ask because I put a 1" threaded quill stem on and it seemed to not fit nice and snug, stuffed a plastic/rubber cap to get it fitting nice, but a bit nervous if it's all out of whack(haven't ridden it in the dirt yet). Rear cog, I was considering changing it out, anybody have an idea what would work? I have a set of bmx cranks with a 25T chainwheel, would like to use it if possible, but I can see myself having to get a bigger chainwheel.

The steerer tube is 1 1/8"

I couldn't resist so I bought one tonight. It seems pretty solid and the only weak part that I can tell will be the rear hub. It doesn't spin as freely as the front wheel and it sounds dry when you apply the brakes. Has anyone rebuilt one of these rear hubs yet? I'd like to hear all about it. Or, has anyone replaced one of these hubs? I'd love to put a Nexus 7 speed hub back there but do they come in a 48 hole version? What is a good bottom bracket to use in place of the stock one?
I'll be adding lights and maybe some other stuff to it and I'll post pics at a later date.

The coaster brake is a HiStop I believe, and pretty easy to repack with grease if you're a bit mechanical. The three piece bottom bracket is pretty much standard as well, and replacing it with a cartridge bottom bracket would make for a nice upgrade.Just take the old spindle out and bring it to your LBS so they can match the length. It's a three piece crank so you'll need a crank tool to get the arms off. It's not too difficult.(Then again I am a bike mechanic...)

Bigcam59 said:
Just got one myself...before
p3a.jpg

and after...
P3c.jpg

or should I say during...not quite done with it yet. Here she is with the tank and the homemade truss rods installed, and the fender bobbed...
p3hb.jpg

thinking of getting an onyx and putting some monkey hangers on it. just wondering how high those new bars are, and what size the clamping width is? new to this game, would love any help!

costen said:
Bigcam59 said:
Just got one myself...before
p3a.jpg

and after...
P3c.jpg

or should I say during...not quite done with it yet. Here she is with the tank and the homemade truss rods installed, and the fender bobbed...
p3hb.jpg

thinking of getting an onyx and putting some monkey hangers on it. just wondering how high those new bars are, and what size the clamping width is? new to this game, would love any help!
The bars were 7/8" at the clamp, so I had to use a set of shims to get them to fit. Standard bars with the 1" swell at the clamp area should work fine. The height is about 13 1/2 inches. Hope that helps. 8)

I picked up a 7 speed version of the Onyx in the spring, an Astra. I posted this in the gallery but since this thread made it back to the top I thought I'd show it here.

I kept the frame set, wheels and shifter and swapped everything else out of my parts stash.

579609_10151537585318053_2118098196_n.jpg

I just ordered a white version of this in 32" as well, and will be putting a white fat banana with highback sissy and apehangers on that one also.

What I love about these frames is that they are aluminum so the bike is light even though it's huuuuge. 32" is going to be monster...

Note - as-is, these aren't very feet forward - I'm 6'1 and the stance was more race/roadbikish until I added the banana.

THESE ARE 27.2 seatposts unfortunately, which means all the standard offset seat posts you could normally use to have the seat set back a little more won't fit, and I haven't been able to find a 27.2 offset post, so if you want to set yourself back a little without bending your own offset 27.2 size post, a banana is the only standard option..... Thus I suggest fat banana from Retro cruisers for comfort since normal banana won't be comfortable - I go on 30 miles rides that take over 2 hours so I need the comfort... http://www.retrocruiserbicycles.com/category_s/93.htm

Rev.LowBuck said:
I picked up a 7 speed version of the Onyx in the spring, an Astra. I posted this in the gallery but since this thread made it back to the top I thought I'd show it here.

I kept the frame set, wheels and shifter and swapped everything else out of my parts stash.

I went back to get this after buying the single speed in black (realized it was a steal and I wanted to increase range with multi-speed), and they had sold out, crud. That is a really great bike for that price...

LowAndStretched said:
579609_10151537585318053_2118098196_n.jpg

I just ordered a white version of this in 32" as well, and will be putting a white fat banana with highback sissy and apehangers on that one also.

What I love about these frames is that they are aluminum so the bike is light even though it's huuuuge. 32" is going to be monster...

Note - as-is, these aren't very feet forward - I'm 6'1 and the stance was more race/roadbikish until I added the banana.

THESE ARE 27.2 seatposts unfortunately, which means all the standard offset seat posts you could normally use to have the seat set back a little more won't fit, and I haven't been able to find a 27.2 offset post, so if you want to set yourself back a little without bending your own offset 27.2 size post, a banana is the only standard option..... Thus I suggest fat banana from Retro cruisers for comfort since normal banana won't be comfortable - I go on 30 miles rides that take over 2 hours so I need the comfort... http://www.retrocruiserbicycles.com/category_s/93.htm
Here's another option, seatpost -wise

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59700
A couple of us have used his seatposts in builds. He does good work 8)

costen said:
does anyone know if the pedal thread size is 1/2" or 9/16"?

It's a 3 piece crank, so it is 9/16"

One piece cranks are 1/2"

Of course some really old 3 piece cranks had 1/2" pedals and at some point someone made some one piece cranks with 9/16" threads, both rare exceptions. So as a rule, 3 piece crank = 9/16", one piece crank (OPC) = 1/2"

IMG_0095_zps94bfafe6.jpg

Klunker is under 24 pounds!

Changes:
SRAM X5 two piece cranks.
Truvativ 7075 36t ring.
Deity Compound pedals.

Chromag Fubars- CHROME
Gravity 70mm AM stem

Front wheel- unlaced the 48hole!! steel hub hub. Relaced same rim and spokes on a 32h Ringle Bubba Hub. Had to get creative with the lacing to make the spoke length work.... 1X, skipped every third rim hole.

The carbon post broke off, replaced it with a cheapie Kona alloy post. Prolly over 24 now. It still has the super thick Walmart tubes, that's easy half pound savings..

Really stoked on this bike! Still only $149.95 into it.... the rest is all hand me downs and parts bin.

I just bought mine off c/l for $65.00. The ones at the local Walmart now have two rear reflectors, while mine has only one. I like the twin reflectors so if any one on here removes them during a customization I want to buy a pair. So far I like the way the bike rides. The only thing it needs is another tooth or two on the rear sprocket. I'm going to look into a sprocket swap. :D

Here's a pic of mine. I got it in August and I love it. I took all of the reflectors off and added lights front and rear. I have new tires with smoother tread coming for it this Christmas.
The coaster brake sucks and I like to replace it but it's 48 hole. I try not to use it...haha.

2ude7u8y.jpg

genesis onex are pretty nice for the price
my daily commuter is a genesis onex slightly modified for my pleasure.
it's a good commuter bike just gotta check the grease
kent apparently makes these so their cheaper made but have potential
so i will shut up and show you mine lol

last pic before snow hit

Back