gear'ing help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello everyone,

i have 6 cogs on my rear derailleur and i am using all the gears etc.. from a 5 speed bike. i.e chain, cable anchor etc..
is it possible to run it 5 speed? just by not using the bottom sprocket? the front chainring i am using is a 44t as well.

look forward to hearing if its possible...

oh and if this helps the wheel im using is a rigida and the gears im using are from a raleigh scorpio....

cheers,
Jake

Hi , not very clear without a picture but ill try to answer

-you can run the rear 5 speeds on only 1 front chainring , but usually works better with the smallest chainring(closer to the BB) cause there is a better alignment for the chain

-you can run the rear 5speed cassette on only 4 or 3 gears and use the 2 front chainring , just adjust the deraileur set screw to prevent the chain from going on the lowest and/or highest gear

dont know if that answer you question :?:

I think the person is asking if the chain, shifter and mech will work with a 6 speed block.

If the shifters not indexed, IE gives clicks to show where the gear position is. It should work. theres some ability to adapt it to different cable pull and so gear mech movement by putting the cable on the other side of the clamp bolt.

I think Sheldon Brown had an article about this, on his website

Back