GarageBicycleBuilder Lisbon Portugal! Cadillac painted!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Humble garage bicycle builder- Lisbon! Now with the Blogue!*

...tired of that blue colour and always wanting to have a obvious "metal bike" I painted her transparent
to see the steel texture and irregularities.

Then, one day after the paint job, I made this fork, that already has been in my mind for quite some time now.
I was doing it parallel at each side but then twisting a bit the tubes I felt that this conic way was much more audacious :D

Since I know that everyone likes to see the "process", here it goes:

DSCN2823poblog.jpg

DSCN2836poblog.jpg

DSCN2841poblog.jpg

DSCN2867poblog.jpg

...and already working on a big ride close to Lisbon - Belém:

DSCN2926poblog.jpg

DSCN2928poblog.jpg

DSCN2945poblog.jpg

DSCN2918poblog.jpg

Still on a test ride I don't feel that confident to do some wheelies and straining, but
some days from now I will certainly be doing some wheelies on her. I think it seems fragile
but is very well welded and thought - in lines and matters of holding the effort.

Cheers everyone;)

Thanks Mugen_Stumpo and thanks deorman :D

It is working pretty well, already doing some wheelies and the fork seems pretty stiff and it is very light so it's more cool to ride without hands.

Today I took some pictures of her has she should be - a fixed gear or with a coaster brake on the rear hub.

DSCN3086piki.jpg

DSCN3064piki.jpg

DSCN3047piki.jpg

DSCN3033piki.jpg

The thing is I don't like to ride fixed bikes but she looks so nicer without any .... on the way of the tires and frame.

Doesn't it?

Cheers! 8)

Since I want this bicycle to be 100% done by me(when I mean 100% I really mean it! - ok, not the brakes and gear pieces)
I made a handle bars complete to the frame:

DSCN3103piki.jpg

DSCN3099piki.jpg

DSCN3107piki.jpg

DSCN3111piki.jpg

DSCN3155piki.jpg

DSCN3153piki.jpg

DSCN3139piki.jpg

DSCN3145piki.jpg

It's not that special but it works great with my position of riding.

Now, it's 100% built by me! It feels good riding her 8)

Wow I love ALL these bikes! The very very first one you posted and this last one are great! I find it funny how timid you were about even posting anything here at all - but anyone here who can make a bike 100% by hand PLUS have their own really cool style to all their builds deserves to be part of this forum as much as anyone else. Bike building is bike building, doesnt matter how you do it, just as long as you ride :mrgreen:

But I like the stance of this bike a lot! Especially with the new bars and fork, looks like a crazy hybrid between a comfy, high-end, performer/rugged, battle-tested, heavy duty, handmade tank. LOVE it! Keep up the sweet builds man, I love seeing someone forging their own great works of art from nothing but a little will to do so - I dub thee "True Hotrodder"

Wow, now I really feel flattered! What a message SectionEightLife! Thanks for the compliments, I really value them :D

This last bike is becoming a project of its own because, has I'm tight from budget, I'm only investing in parts of the bike
(not on one new entire bike) and since this is the bike that I ride every single day, it is the one that I'm investing now.
(to do the fork took me one day and the same with the handlebars - including amateur paint job!lol)

The first one that you mention was very comfortable, I rode her for quite some months too. The position is like a beach cruiser
but the design lines are modern and aggressive - since she started as a racing aggressive road bike(like a streetfighter motorcycle)
- as you can see on my blog.

Doing a 100% bike is more risky and takes time. Normally, I leave out of "my hands" the fork and the part that fixes the handle bars to
the fork or frame(don't know how to say in english). So normally I do, let's say, 90% of the bike, starting just with the metal tube of
the steering axle, then adding a tube, then welding the metal tube of the pedal bracket axle(I'm saying it right?), etc.

Thanks a lot Peatbog! It's really good to receive support :)

...to be continued...

Starts the Cadillac Cruiser project!
from this:
DSCN3312kk.jpg
:D

The development of the real thing:
DSCN3301kk.jpg

DSCN3302kk.jpg

DSCN3304kk.jpg

DSCN3307kk.jpg

DSCN3319kkkk.jpg

DSCN3320lll.jpg

DSCN3328kkk.jpg

DSCN3325kkkk.jpg

DSCN3333kkk.jpg

This was done in just one day and a half of work;)

Tomorrow I'm going to do the handle bars, seat, new fork and raise it a bit because is too low.

It's the first bike that I do entirely from a drawing to "reality" - all the measures are in scale 8)

Cheers to all!

Re: Humble garage bicycle builder- Lisbon!

Today, another day of full work, I did the fork, the seat tube and finally the handle bars!
Tired... :)

I had a lot of ideas to do the fork but I chose the simplest.
DSCN3343.jpg

DSCN3344kkk.jpg

bfsrgbr.jpg

DSCN3357kkk.jpg

I like this handle bars:
DSCN3359kkkk.jpg

DSCN3374.jpg

The handle bars always needs a beak...
DSCN3387.jpg

DSCN3388kkk.jpg

DSCN3390kkk.jpg

DSCN3395kkk.jpg

And with her sister - the mantis bike!
DSCN3410kkk.jpg

Another 100% done by me - there is Nothing in the bike that was taken from another! Very cool to ride 8)

Tomorrow I'm going to totally clean it and then paint. Not sure of the colour to paint her, any suggestions?

Re: GarageBicycleBuilder Lisbon Portugal! NEW *Cadillac Cruiser*

Since I'm waiting to paint the Cadillac Cruiser, I found another way to continue work:

DSCN3444.jpg

iso-8859-1QDSCN3428E7klE7jlm.jpg

iso-8859-1QDSCN3438mrvlE7g.jpg

DSCN3425rlgmo.jpg

Today I felt the mantis bike "calling" me for a ride but since I didn't want to go with the upper handle bars
I switched to this common ones.

Coming home from the ride, I decided to start a new bars, based on this, for the mantis bike:
DSCN3457w.jpg

DSCN3455ecfw.jpg

DSCN3446efw.jpg

Tomorrow it's finished.

...and tomorrow is today:
DSCN3477efwwfe.jpg

DSCN3481ces.jpg

DSCN3488efq.jpg

DSCN3493ws.jpg

DSCN3501www.jpg

DSCN3504wqwq.jpg

fewqfeq.jpg

DSCN3494wqwq.jpg

It rides Beautifully! Really chopper bombaclock! :lol: I feel like I'm riding one of this:
bike4d.jpg

(Meantime, can somebody tell me why nobody replies?? It would be nice to know what the ratrod community thought of my works...)

This bike has evolved and looks better all the time.
I love this last look but as a single speed. You need a coaster hub to get rid of the brake and gear clutter.
DSCN3145piki.jpg

Your Cadillac Cruiser is just too cool. Wow! what a bike.
It deserves a screaming red paintjob, but being a Cady perhaps a gloss black would be the deal.

You make some great hand built 'bars; but those flatties have made 'Mantis' not the Mantis any more.
Cool bars but they spoil the essence of Mantis in my opinion. Although I bet they make a nicer ride.

You are proof that it is better to stop thinking and start building. Very cool Bikes.

Kevin

Wilcycle I must say you are right about the coaster brake, she would be very nicer without any wires etc. But the thing is
in a road bike I prefer the normal brake system although in beachCruisers or choppers there's nothing better. And yes the "essencia"
(essence) bicycle it's my bike all day long and every day. It's my pride and joy, really like to drive her around - very fast! I think it is the
only bike that I've ever created that on my standards it's perfect - this off course also because it is the only bike, that I made,
that has been always perfected along the way.

About the colour on the "Cadi" I'm thinking of a luxurious one but not certain yet of which one :roll:

Yé I always do the bars, and somebody on this forum said the same thing as you did. I prefer to do them my self because it's
really cheaper and I can say that I've made 100% of the project and not 90%... And a funny thing about the bars is that they
change completely the entire design/lines of a frame, like this:
Untitled-1copy-1.jpg

You see?! It's incredible, with the same frame you can change completely a bicycle "subject" by putting another bars!
(it's a interesting thing to have in mind while you are creating a bicycle - and another is "the possibilities are endless!!!)

About the Mantis, very true indeed! :) I thought about it after putting her like this... Maybe, to continue on the animal kingdom,
BAT?? :lol: The bars make me think of one! :lol:

But no, I'm thinking about another like...dark beauty, or something like it, I'll soon decide.

...very nicer ride, that's for sure:
DSCN3513gf.jpg

just to have an idea.

"You are proof that it is better to stop thinking and start building. Very cool Bikes." - yé thinking/projecting comes better
when I have the material in front of me, although the cadillac cruiser was the first bike to be projected on drawing before
doing it, big time, in real size. Every measurement is in scale with the project drawing :wink:

Thanks a lot for the compliments and support Kevin, it's good to know! :D

Mplscoaster thanks a lot for the support :wink:

Cheers to all!

deorman said:
The view with rider helps me tremendously when trying to decide what I think of unconventional bikes, especially when I don't have a chance to ride them. :wink: I like it. 8) I also like the black satin finish. :mrgreen:

http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z32 ... ke2029.jpg
http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z32 ... /013-b.jpg
http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z32 ... ke3044.jpg

Yé that's true, you need to take a picture with the rider to understand really how the bike rides and this rides very "cooly". :wink:

All black BAT :lol:

I like the elegance of your frame, cool ride :wink:

Cheers

Re: GarageCycleBuilder Lisbon Portugal! Cadillac Cruiser painted

Finally!
Cadillac Cruiser is painted:
DSCN3924.jpg

DSCN3922.jpg

DSCN3930.jpg

DSCN3215.jpg

Mmm... When I was choosing the colour it seemed more orange... Did I made a mistake? You tell me.

I think that for the name is very reasonable :lol:, but I'm still not sure about it.

However, you have to ride her to understand the why of the name! Is really cool, down and easy
- you feel like king of the road but maintaining the coolest position. (It's a bit of a surprise really.)
Still need to do some long ride to know if it's really comfortable but for now it really seems nice.

Just look at my face:
DSCN3937.jpg

:lol:

Cheers to all!!! and tell me what you think :wink:

Latest posts

Back