ORBO FYA - (Functional Yard Art)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok: here we go!

Scored this old Huffman I think last winter.

I used it as yard art all summer.

Im going through a basket phase, so I thought it would be cool to build a beater that can be loaded down with gear and ridden on or off road.

Wreck it, drop it…. Who cares!

The goal here is to make this thing look like a broken, dilapidated piece of yard art, but be 1000% functional off road or at a camp.

@Captain Awesome said something about being ridden fast and hard…. I’ll take a rain check on the ‘fast’ and will replace with loaded and long!
IMG_8907.jpeg

Huffman frame, forks, and chainwheel. That's a great start and not yard art at all. I'm surprised no one grabbed it from your yard like a bag of money on the street.

View attachment 256771
Yeah…. I guess it was inside a fence? Lol!

it didn’t really roll very well. Anyone who grabbed it was going to have to carry it!

Love the start already! Ratroddin'
We have yard art from old granny bikes with flower pots on them too. Usually they are decked with ten layers of paint.
Thanks Bart!!!!

I actually salvage a lot of $$$ out of parts bikes (usually step through / women’s) I smother in paint and sell for $100-$125 (US)
IMG_7064.jpeg
IMG_8371.jpeg

Im going through a basket phase, so I thought it would be cool to build a beater that can be loaded down with gear and ridden on or off road.
Better a basket phase than a basket case! :giggle:
Call me intrigued by your idea...

This is one crusty critter!!!

I don’t even want to start wrenching on this thing until I soak some of these nuts, bolts and bearings.

There’s a pretty ugly mix of dirt and rust all over this thing.

Bombed it with marvel mystery oil…. I’ll hit it a few more times today and during the week and hopefully this guy will come apart pretty easily.

IMG_8919.jpeg

This is one crusty critter!!!

I don’t even want to start wrenching on this thing until I soak some of these nuts, bolts and bearings.

There’s a pretty ugly mix of dirt and rust all over this thing.

Bombed it with marvel mystery oil…. I’ll hit it a few more times today and during the week and hopefully this guy will come apart pretty easily.

View attachment 257207
Man I love the rusty looks combined with the beaten up basket. If you ride around with this and some patches/bandages on your legs everyone on the streets running into you can't stop asking: Are you ok? :rofl:

Last edited:
So…. Disassembly went ok: you learn a lot about why these guys sat all these years once you tear into them!

-couldn’t get one pedal off…. The crank is bent. I’d wrestle the pedal off if the crank were straight, but it’s not. Need to round up a crusty crank n chainring.

Front rim hub lubed and ready to go.

Rear wheel apart, soaking and cleaning rear hub components.

I was sizing up the fenders, I’ll probably bob them.

IMG_8928.jpeg
IMG_8927.jpeg
IMG_8929.jpeg

So…. Disassembly went ok: you learn a lot about why these guys sat all these years once you tear into them!

-couldn’t get one pedal off…. The crank is bent. I’d wrestle the pedal off if the crank were straight, but it’s not. Need to round up a crusty crank n chainring.

Front rim hub lubed and ready to go.

Rear wheel apart, soaking and cleaning rear hub components.

I was sizing up the fenders, I’ll probably bob them.

View attachment 257496View attachment 257497View attachment 257498
I've cleaned and greased some red band hubs that had nearly been worn out and they kept going. Bulletproof. I wish I had stocked up on them, can't get any now.

Are those the original Huffman fenders on the ground in the first pic? I would bob another set and keep them like they are.
28 Jan 24.jpeg

I've cleaned and greased some red band hubs that had nearly been worn out and they kept going. Bulletproof. I wish I had stocked up on them, can't get any now.

Are those the original Huffman fenders on the ground in the first pic? I would bob another set and keep them like they are.
View attachment 257501
Thanks @Wildcat ! Nope….. these are just some rusty chrome fenders off of an old junker. I did the test fit, and there’s going to be plenty of work to get these guys to fit and be fully functional on a ride.

Latest posts

Back