Future Klunker Project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought this "prewar Schwinn" and got it with no badge. trying to figure out a model and year for it, anybody? thanks.

Dsc_2928.jpg

Dsc_2926.jpg

Dsc_2927.jpg

Dsc_2930.jpg

Dsc_2932.jpg

Dsc_2929.jpg

Just need to rob everything off of one of those old Stumpjumpers of yours and you'll be in bidness. :wink:

Rat Rod said:
Just need to rob everything off of one of those old Stumpjumpers of yours and you'll be in bidness. :wink:

that would be sacrilege :wink:

Rat Rod said:
tuga said:
that would be sacrilege :wink:

Nah...it's all gonna burn some day. :)

putting it that way, it's tempting :).

from what I've found looks like the only year for these with the dog ears was 1939. So I'll go with that year, now anyone has a cheap headbadge for it?

I have the '37-'41 Schwinn catalogs. '39 was the last year for the dropstand, but the '37-'39 bikes with dropstands had the detachable dogear, not the fixed one like yours. If that is indeed a Schwinn frame, and it looks like it is to me, I'd say it was made before '37. Gary

Sunrace makes a nice mini group kit that is Klunker worthy. You just need any freewheel mtb wheelset. You could braze on some cantilever bosses and be all set. Otherwise just do a single sprocket up front and gears in the back to simply things. I would do something small like a lucky seven sprocket and that thing would climb like a mountain goat. I love klunker builds. It's gotta have gears though.
http://cgi.ebay.com/SunRace-7-Speed-gro ... 1c1767817c

Very classic! I like how smooth the dropout/rear stay joints are. It flows very well.

Can't wait to see this beast get built up!

OUTLAW said:
this is one that i have and it's a 1940.Outlaw

How do you know that is a 1940 and not a '39 or '41? Prewar cantilever frames are scarce and valuable. Nice one! Gary

Latest posts

Back