Funkliner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think you need to mask anything if you're dipping. Part of what's cool about dip is the freeform randomness which is ruined with a mask line.
Here's a nice idea combine all the styles. Anyone every seen a dip fade???

I always start these projects thinking I have enough used bikes and bike parts that I won’t have to spend any money…. Never works out.

I just bought this tub at tractor supply. It should be useful for both the hydro dip and OA baths. Perfect size!

IMG_3415.jpeg

Keep in mind I had already removed most of the rust off the frame with aluminum foil. I threw some rusty fenders, rusty handle bars and a rusty fork into the bath as well. After about 3 hours I rinsed everything with fresh water and I would say about 80 to 90% of the rust washed off. There was still rust in some of the worst and most pitted spots. It has now been about 9 hours and not much else has happened. Not sure whether the OA just removes the loose rust, or whether the solution has reached a saturation point and is no longer working. Or maybe it just needs more time. I will let everything soak overnight and see what happens.

Keep in mind I had already removed most of the rust off the frame with aluminum foil. I threw some rusty fenders, rusty handle bars and a rusty fork into the bath as well. After about 3 hours I rinsed everything with fresh water and I would say about 80 to 90% of the rust washed off. There was still rust in some of the worst and most pitted spots. It has now been about 9 hours and not much else has happened. Not sure whether the OA just removes the loose rust, or whether the solution has reached a saturation point and is no longer working. Or maybe it just needs more time. I will let everything soak overnight and see what happens.
I've had varying results with oa actually had better results with citric acid

I am going to call this a success. There are a few very dark (almost black) spots remaining. I think this is just where the chrome is completely gone.

This morning the pieces were coated in a white substance. I’m no chemist, but am guessing the OA crystals fell out of solution as the temperature dropped overnight. Maybe???

IMG_3417.jpeg

I rinsed everything with fresh water. Hopefully it doesn’t flash rust.
IMG_3418.jpeg

I am going to call this a success. There are a few very dark (almost black) spots remaining. I think this is just where the chrome is completely gone.

This morning the pieces were coated in a white substance. I’m no chemist, but am guessing the OA crystals fell out of solution as the temperature dropped overnight. Maybe???

View attachment 248112

I rinsed everything with fresh water. Hopefully it doesn’t flash rust.
View attachment 248113
Looks shiny from here

I walked to 3 auto parts stores today. They all had the same 3 metalcast colors. I want ALL the metalcast colors. Might be a few days before I paint. Was really hoping to do this today.

No. It looked like that was for plastic. The instructions on the metalcast said not to use any sort of primer and not to sand the chrome. Apply directly to chrome.

I think I either used too much paint or didn’t move quick enough. I was also attempting to spray all the paint into the same spot to create a bullseye pattern. That might have been a mistake.

I will keep trying.

I would try the spray spray whole thing and did the parts that did sick look smoken

The good looking spots seem to be from the center of the tub. Which is the last paint I put down. I think the paint is drying too fast on the surface of the water causing the wrinkles. I wonder if there is something I can add to the water to slow down the paint from drying.

Does Metalcast say to use plan water? Regular oil based paints need to be floating on top of water with borax mixed into it. That may possibly keep it from clumping...

I think the paint is drying too fast on the surface of the water causing the wrinkles.
That was my first thought. You may have to work faster before the surface of the paint starts tacking up. :39:

Back