fun moment in a vintage car this mornning

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as many of you know i am the proud owner of a 62 ranchero rat rod that i love dearly. it runs great, is reliable and with the straight 6 gets me around 20 mpg which i can deal with. on the way to work i got off the freeway and went to hit the brake like i always do and at first it was nice and firm. then promptly went to the floor as i am sailing off the freeway at 60 mph. i pumped it a few times and hit it again and it was better but still very weak and at the same time tossed it into second downshifting for my life. well as you can tell i am typing so i was able to get her stoped and got to work. turned out the seals on the master cylinder gave out so when i pushed the brake the fluid insted of compressing was pushed past the piston oops. here is the funny part i got a dual pot cylinder from a 67 mustang which will work better anyways and it cost me 14.99. oh well there is the 10 dollar core charge oh well.
here is the kicker when i pulled the new one out of the box and turned it over it said bendix on the bottom. talk about irony.

Yeah bendix made brake parts back in the day along with bicycle parts. Now they just stick with automotive brake parts.

That is very Scary when you Lose Pedal!

Glad your ok Bro,
and a Dual Chambered Master Cylinder is going to be a
much improved Part .

I Have a Dual in my Wagon....but my Cornbinder only has the Single,
Stock, Master.

It's kinda scary thinking that if my Single Goes.....
I'll be "Fred Flinstoning" it like you where.

:shock: :shock:

Glad you got her to a Safe Stop,

Kev.

Dude! I am so glad you got it stopped. I bet you had the shakes for a while.

I have a 65 Galaxie with a single. I parked it until I can change to a 2 chamber master cyl a few months back. Started to get the itch a couple of days ago to go ahead and drive it. Now that I read this, the itch is gone. At least until I change the the master cyl.

im rollin with a single resivoir mastercylinder, we had a 51 plymouth a few years back and the master cylinde went out in the middle of traffic so my dad wips it into the middle school parking lot at 55 :shock:

You guys were talking about all the bendix stuff, When i was at the airshow, I was looking at a old plane from like world War 2 Bendix was stamped into the brake on the plane!b

actually kev it was a dual circut out of a granada and the seals failed in the cylinder at wada u know, the same time. lucky me well doing that hunt for the master was all sorts of fun. call up a parts store and first thing they ask is what year make and model. normally i screw with them and say it is a 1962 frrd el ranchero four door. well i might as well have because no one had it except for the main napa parts center in town.

thats a good one. a good trick i like is to call up...... they answer and i say i need a part. they put me on hold for ever..................................................................then ask what year and make. i say 67 volkswagen beetle, then there is a pause as i can hear the guy typing into his computer. he asks what i need and i say water pump. tick tick tick i hear him typing away then say we dont have one in stock. go ahead try it and see if any shop will catch it. i bet even ricky gets this joke.

back in the day i was into scooters and i made this post prasing this new hipo part for a stock zenoah engine muffler called muffler bearings. instantly i got tons of serious posts wanting to know where i got it and how much faster it made me go. i let it go for about a month before bursting their bubbles.

Back