Front head tube size.....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys,

Please see pics of my custom frame someone made a while back. Not sure how he made it work but now I have to fix it.
I thought it was a 1" pipe, but it seems smaller.....

20160812_180054.jpg 20160812_180046.jpg

You are missing the headtube cups/races: (the two middle pieces, upper and lower headtube races)

Bicycle_headset_exploded_view-en.png

They are probably the standard 1" size, and can be found on almost any older scrap bicycle.

Luke.

Yeah I saw that I need those, but I tried putting some on and they are a little bigger than the head tube. I will take pics and measure again...thanks Luke

Yeah I saw that I need those, but I tried putting some on and they are a little bigger than the head tube. I will take pics and measure again...thanks Luke

What is the ID of the headtube? What is the OD of the cups, at insertion? There are at least 3 commonly available sizes of "one inch" headsets

3??? Wow, I did not know that. I will take pics of sizes....

Yeah, all that plus French and some more obscure sizes.

Even if/when you get the right headset, it's still going to be too wide to go into the headtube by hand. You'll need to use a press to get it in. It needs to be .1 or .2mm "too big" in order to press in securely. But, if it's too big, you could damage the headtube.

It appears that you have an older Schwinn reversed race being used as a lock nut, so that is probably the size of headset pieces that you need to use. They are indeed smaller I.D. than most common sets. As previously noted, there are more than one size of outer bearing race for 1". While they should not be loose, if major force is required it's probably not the right one, and could crack your head tube. Good luck.

Seems like I'm a dork..............

Looks like the head tube is the standard 1", while the cups that I thought were 1" are really 1-1/8"....So I will look for a scrap bike online to get headset for cheaper....
20160816_155555.jpg
20160816_155500.jpg
20160816_155456.jpg

Back