Fresh Scrap Yard Treasures!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to sell some of my old stripped mtn bike frames at the local scrap yard. Upon leaving this lil old lady pulls up in a pick-up loaded with bagged aluminum cans and these two bikes laying on top. I asked about them and she hooked me up for WAY cheap!
The 1st is a 24" Schwinn with blue headbadge. Not sure about the other...spaceliner maybe??

scrapyardfinds003_zps07e67d1b.jpg

scrapyardfinds001_zpsd8fe8ce2.jpg

SCORE !

congrats.

sad what ppl will scrap - great you saved those, here in NY once it goes into the scrapper it never comes out, someone could scrap a 10 milion dollar Deusenburg and they'd crush it cause nothing can be sold ..... :(

and a Spaceliner too, double score :)

Great Score! Second one is definately a Spaceliner, one of the coolest frames ever! 8)

That silver bike looks like it was painted. Murray used that frame for other bikes besides Sears Spaceliners. If that frame was painted originally (you can tell by looking inside the bottom bracket or head tube) then it could have been anything. It's hard to tell what it really used to be because its a mish-mash of parts. The crank and chain ring are from a Huffy, the fork is from a Schwinn, the handlebars and fender are aftermarket, and the grips are either Huffy or Western Flyer.

It's still a nice find though!

Thanks guys and thanks for the info partsguy! I caught her going in to the scrap yard...spied the Schwinn on top and the Spaceliner was under her bags of cans. Now I gotta sell the Schwinn and get started doing something challenging with the Spaceliner. 8)

Should be easy enough to sell that Schwinn once it's cleaned up ( and the front fender turned around, since it's backwards ).

Spaceliner is great as-is, pretty ratty now :)

Back