freewheel truoble

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
hey guys i took off a freewheel wheel of a cheap wally world bike i was fixin for a lady ...it truns both ways why ? whats wrong with it i know takin them apart is a pain cause those little bearing go all over the place ...anyone know how i can go about fixin it ? good rim hate 2 toss it if i can fix it and use it !!! any help would b cool !!! MIKE

Is it because you might not have it hooked up to the bracket that goes
To the chain stay?
Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

mikesbikes36 said:
hey guys i took off a freewheel wheel of a cheap wally world bike i was fixin for a lady ...it truns both ways why ? whats wrong with it i know takin them apart is a pain cause those little bearing go all over the place ...anyone know how i can go about fixin it ? good rim hate 2 toss it if i can fix it and use it !!! any help would b cool !!! MIKE

you don't have to toss it if only the freewheel is bad- just remove/replace the freewheel.

but first try flushing the freewheel with solvent or a light lube, maybe the mechanism is just sticky.....:D

rydr1 said:
To the chain stay?

its a freewheel ...there is nothing 2 hook 2 the chain stay ....im lost ...LOL

bendix ..can i take the freewheel off without all the bearings commin out ...? it spins nice n free in both directions so im not sure if its dirty seams like something may b broke ?

Sounds like a dead freewheel...wallyworld bikes have the cheapest of the cheap parts on them and the pawls in cheap freewheels break very easily. You can take it off the rim without having it fall apart, but the cheapo freewheels usually have very small removal notches so it's a pain without the right removal tool. Once you get it off there throw it in the nearest trash can and put a new one on...you'll waste more time than you care to trying to rebuild it.

mikesbikes36 said:
rydr1 said:
To the chain stay?

its a freewheel ...there is nothing 2 hook 2 the chain stay ....im lost ...LOL

bendix ..can i take the freewheel off without all the bearings commin out ...? it spins nice n free in both directions so im not sure if its dirty seams like something may b broke ?

your local shop can spin it off easily, as a unit, with the proper tool. :D

to do it on the cheap, disassemble the fw by rotating the lockring w/a hammer and punch (righty loosy).

pull it apart and watch all the little pieces fall on your bench.

there will most likely be a couple big notches in the remaining part that can be used as flats to clamp it in a vise. otherwise grind some.

tighten in vise.

turn wheel counterclockwise- it'll be tight.

:wink:

Look, here's my fix, like it or lump it, it has worked for cheap and expensive freewheels and Bendix hit on this one. if you put the wheel flat on it's side with the freewheel up, there is a little opening around the outside, take some penetrating oil and spray it into the little crack, then spin the freewheel, add more and repeat spinning both ways, it's usually just gunked up and will grab, keep working it once it grabs and keep adding oil and make sure it stays freed up. Like I said, has worked great for me and it requires no new freewheel and no bike shop.

so i SOAKED the freewheel in lube 2 day ...spun it like crazy ...both directions ...wacked it with a screwdriver a few times....shot some more lube on and in it ...spun more ...nothing still spins both directions ....so i soaked it one more time and let it sit ...ill see if something give 2 morrow ...if not ...junkman will b gettin more goodies .... :mrgreen:

mikesbikes36 said:
so i SOAKED the freewheel in lube 2 day ...spun it like crazy ...both directions ...wacked it with a screwdriver a few times....shot some more lube on and in it ...spun more ...nothing still spins both directions ....so i soaked it one more time and let it sit ...ill see if something give 2 morrow ...if not ...junkman will b gettin more goodies .... :mrgreen:

Wow, that one is bad, good thing though that I've never seen an oddball one, they are all standard, the one on my tall bike is off of an exercise bike and the one on my 24" BMX is off a single speed road bike and Cody just put one off of an OCC Chopper bike on his SS mountain bike. Find a busted wheel with a good freewheel and you're golden.

Back