FreeRat (Updated)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished a bike I built from all free stuff :lol: . The frame (they are generically known as "Dragsters" here in Australia), wheels and tyres came from three different bikes left on piles of stuff on the street for hard rubbish collection. The seat and bars came from the dump, and I utilised a couple of pre-used bearings. The only things I thought I was going to have to spring for were the cotter pins....yuck :( , but the guy at my LBS gave them to me, he said he hadn't sold any for years and couldn't find a matching pair :D.
I have a blue sparkle banana seat and sissy bar (also from a hard rubbish pile) that I may put on, but i kinda like the way it looks now....I'm 5'6" so even with the low seat height it's not too bad for me to ride.
The 20" "Dragster" frames are about the only cantilever frames we see in Australia, although larger cruiser types are becoming more popular lately.

FreeRat.jpg

I put the banana seat on....it's there to stay!!!

Freeratbanana.jpg

I also put a set of cruiser bars and a new seat on my first bike. It's much better to ride now.

Orangebike.jpg

Re: FreeRat

I like the yellow/blue combo. Looks good, think you could find a matching blue seat and grips? I not much into a slammed seat unless the bike has "out front" cranks. But if it fits your likings, it's o.k. by me! :wink: Would shorter cranks look better?
Chainy

Re: FreeRat

Great Job! Are those 20'' Wheels?

Yeah, it sucks how we didn't get many different types of frames over here, I ended up ratting a 20" BMX 'cos I couldn't get a cheap "Yankee" style frame. Then one day I saw a cheap Schwinn for sale....

But yeah man, lovin' the rides, especially the cruiser ya got there.

By the way, is that a Victorian plate on that VX(?) in the background??? What neck of the woods are ya from?

I'm in Queensland.
The car is my next door neighbours ute, I think it's a VR or VS.

Yeah, agree on the frame thing. I've got a project planned out for a cantilever frame and I don't think I've got much chance of picking up a used one, so I'll probably have to buy a cheapo R.O.C. made bike for the frame :( .

Ahhh, I was almost there! A Queensland boy you say? You blokes have top ride weather all year, lucky malakas! (I guess except for the monsoons!). I'm from Mexico City (Melbourne), so unfortunately I mightn't see ya iron on a ride. But yeah, I think what we do have in common is the pure jealousy of our Yankee cousins who have all the cool gear :wink:

Yep, frames are hard to find here.

I have a pile of 20" dragsters (scored 5 frames for $50 a couple of weeks back), but the kids are outgrowing them.

Just bought a new Schwinn Corvette 24" the other day, just to get the frame, bars, fenders etc.

I'm hanging out to get a pair of 24" I bought off ebay in the US. 1957 Schwinn Spitfire and a 1952 Seers. Bought them in March. Shipped them USPS to Longbeach. Got them shipped in a car container to Melbourne. Been sitting at a mates down there for 3 months, finally got sent via a freight company last week, should be here Saturday ....... gonna be cool to get crackin on them, I have two sets of 3spd coaster wheels, some new www tires, cruiser bars and new seats all sitting waiting.
Kids are gonna be happy when they finally arrive.......my 8 yr old isn't handling the 9 month wait well :mrgreen:

Working on a Dyno 26" as well...... for ME.

Oh .....any aussies needing dragster bits, I have piles of sissybars, seats, ape hangers, 3 spd SA wheels, shifters, even some good original tires and tubes.

Strictly for the "restorers" .......

Mark

PS I just use the frames to build cruisers

y of you know how to weld? if so, start building your own frames. then you can have what ya want. just a thought

Outlaw

OUTLAW said:
y of you know how to weld? if so, start building your own frames. then you can have what ya want. just a thought

Outlaw

Outlaw,

Down the track when time permits, I will fabricate frames. At the moment though, most of my spare time (and money) is spent on this:
IMGA0163.jpg

I've fabricated everything myself so far including the alloy seat (the head supports are Kirkey items I purchased).
I've posted some pics of my latest bike project in Bike Builds.

Halfdone said:
Oh .....any aussies needing dragster bits, I have piles of sissybars, seats, ape hangers, 3 spd SA wheels, shifters, even some good original tires and tubes.

Strictly for the "restorers" .......

Mark

PS I just use the frames to build cruisers

Hey bro, just wondering if you had one of those 3 speed wheels you would like to part with. I'm having a bit of trouble trying to source one myself. Yeah, let us know anyway, I'm always after bits and pieces. Oh, and I'm in the Oakleigh area. Cheers mate!

i always like checking out the bikes from down under, as i hear your somewhat limited on frame types down there. very nice bikes, and goes to show some of the best things in life are free.

Back